So good waking up in indoors, especially after looking at the temperature outside. I think it would've been a bit too cold of a night to be out in my tent with the gear I had along. Just makes me extra thankful for the kindness of my hosts.
Got to sleep in some. Barb had a pot of steel cut oats already cooked, to go along with the fresh blueberries I had picked, yogurt and pecans. Great way to start the day.
I lingered and enjoyed talking with my hosts. Didn't get out the door till 10:30 am, which was fine. Could still feel the natural air conditioning effect of Lake Superior, but the sun was warm.
It's pretty common for WarmShower hosts to get my photo as I leave for the memory or for their guestbook, so they can remember all the people they've hosted.
I was back on busy 28, but at least there was a little bit of shoulder to ride on.
It was lovely seeing glimpses of the lake as I rode.
I had something of a tailwind, which was certainly welcome!
In Munising, I stopped to pump up my tire, not that it really needed it that badly, but still. There was an outdoor bike fix it stand for public use near mountain bike trails that Barb gave me the heads up about.
Munising was indeed a very touristy little town, which in one sense is fascinating to see but also makes me want to get out of there as fast as I can.
I set up my Bluetooth speaker and got the music going to take my mind off the continual flow of (annoying) traffic going by.
I had been told about the upcoming stretch, and that helped prepare me to take on the long straight stretch of road. Nothing but green trees and grasses, blue skies and white clouds... Oh, and ebbs and flows of traffic.
So I rode. And rode. And rode.
My iPod died so I switched to listening, as best I could with the traffic, an audiobook on my iPad.
I ate energy bars and bananas as I rode.
After about 88 Km's Google maps had me take a country road, which, at first was a relief, getting away from the traffic, but when the pavement ended I debated the wisdom of continuing on that particular road...
If it simply been a gravel road it would've been one thing but the ground is very sandy around these parts so I floundered and fish tailed in the sand. And then there were the deer flies. I put bug spray on just to try deter then, but the hovered around my hands and head as I rode. Forward motion, after all, surely this wouldn't go on forever! Perseverance pays off in time...
It was okay in some sections, and by the grace of God I stayed upright. But there came a point when I switched from my cycling shoes to my running shoes so I could walk the really bad stretches with more ease.
It was very remote. Not a soul passes me for quite some time. A good and bad thing I suppose. Later my hosts would tell me I was lucky I didn't meet a bear. I was rather unhappy with Google maps. This isn't the first time they've thrown me onto some obscure road suggesting it's the "best" or "quickest" route, when really it's not ideal for cycling.
When, after what felt like a vey long time, I made it back to a paved road, I felt exhausted from the efforts. I was at 100 Km's, which meant I had been in there for sometime.
Such a relief! Something firm beneath my tires!
I was pretty close to where my hosts lived by then, fortunately.
I was pretty tired, hungry and thirsty when I pulled up at Jan and Gary's place. It was already after 4 pm.
Jan was there, showed me around and got me fed with a late lunch of PB and J sandwich, fresh apple and water to my hearts content.
I got a beach towel and headed on down to the lake for a swim. The bottom was kinda yucky, but I made he most of it before heading back up the hill for a shower.
I enjoyed some quiet time to journal. Gary came home from a long ride and we had supper together. Jan went all out, and I definitely wasn't going to complain that it was spaghetti :)
- Eritia



No comments:
Post a Comment