Friday, July 13, 2018

Day 6; Assisted by tailwind to Duluth

It's hard having to pack up a wet tent. I used my microfibre towel to mop out the puddle that formed inside as best I could.
I just felt slow and unmotivated starting out so early. 
The mosquitos found me, which encouraged me to hurry and get going.
Ate an apple before heading to McDonald's, where I ordered a yogurt parfait and a cup with hot water that I could throw my instant oatmeal into. It was a good, filling breakfast. Good to do my internet stuff as well.
Was back on the road before 8am. A lady driving by yelled "You should be on the sidewalk!", which made me almost laugh out loud! Seriously?! Guess some people just want to own the (whole) road (ironically it was a 4 lane road I was on at the time).
I was glad my route wasn't solely on highway 2. I'm kind of tired of the constant noise of cars.
River road was beautiful and fairly quiet, so you enjoyed listening to the birds. Everything looked lush and green and there were many trees and ferns. The world seemed fresh and clean smelling after the rain. Roads were still quite wet but I wasn't too concerned. I love riding in the morning!
Saw another cycle tourist and stopped to chat a bit since before continuing on my way.
The sky looked a bit dark and ominous but I wasn't really worried that it would rain.
Sure enough the sun peered through and I had to apply sunscreen.
Even though I had 140 Km's to ride, because I had a good tailwind, the time passed quickly. Thank the Lord!
Had to go back on highway 2, so I got to listen to the final part of my Ted Dekker audiobook.
The road rose and fell, the terrain becoming more hilly.
But just having that tailwind made things that much easier.
I made good time. Too good. I was 2 1/2 hrs ahead of schedule, ahead of when I told my host I'd be there. So, since I had time, I explored a bit of the area in search of a park to sit down in. I didn't realize how crazy high the one end of the city was to the other! It's like the escarpment back home! So I could see Duluth and the lake beyond from the vantage. I went down realizing I would have to go back up, but I did find a park with a quiet shaded spot to relax and read.
When it started lightly raining I got a move on. Not that it lasted, but oh well. 
That was some hill to bike back up! Wow! Glad I had small gears!
When I got to the house where I'd be staying I was still too early. The sun was hot and so I made myself at home and took all my damp camping gear out to dry in the sun and sat on the step to journal and wait.
Melissa arrived soon after. She and her husband Sam are a young couple who just recently purchased their first home and I was their first WarmShower guest.
After a much needed shower and my clothes in the laundry I helped them make Kombucha :)
I was relieved that they were willing to share supper with me as their profile didn't say they would. It was good being with believers and praying over the meal together.
Had some time to just do my own thing which was good. I felt a kinship to Sam and Mel from observing their lifestyle and values.
So nice to sleep in a real bed again!
--
- Eritia

No comments:

Post a Comment