Monday, July 23, 2018

Day 16; To Manitoulin Island

Made it through another night. (Most expensive night on my trip thus far :) Was up at 6, while it was still quiet on the campground.
The Zucchini loaf I had purchased made for an amazing breakfast!
I efficiently packed up my gear and was soon ready to be on my way.
What a beautiful morning it was to be out riding my bicycle!
Yesterday my exhaustion had been such that I wondered if I had the strength for another day... But God's grace was sufficient, his mercies new in the morning!
I was able to ride on a quiet country road instead of 17, for which I was thankful!
In EspaƱol I was just thinking I had missed my chance at finding a Tim Hortons when I rounded a bend and saw a McDonald's and Tim Hortons side by side. It was a no brainer. Timmies won hands down! I enjoyed a toasted bagel as I used the free wifi. Then I set out onto 6 towards Manitoulin Island.
It was very hilly. Fast downhills, slow uphills. But I had a nice tailwind (for the first time in days!), and what a difference it made! I was able to cover the distance much more quickly.
I listened to praise and worship music, singing along as I went, it seemed fitting. And after awhile I switched to listen to a sermon on "Give us this day our daily bread"... Which was good to consider... Our daily dependence on God for all we need to sustain life. Perhaps living simply and on the road makes me more keenly aware of this need for God, and even though I sometimes feel like I really don't do such a good job of trusting him, he has proved himself faithful and caring over and over.
If today was any indication, God knew I was tired and worn, and the tailwind felt like exactly what I needed today to get me through. Grace sufficient for the day.
The air had that smell again, the acrid smoke smell, as if somewhere there was a forest fire smouldering. (I later found out there was...) It wasn't pleasant.
I hadn't realized there was so much Indian reservation land around and on Manitoulin!
It's interesting rediscovering places my parents took me as a young person. Must be close to 20 years since I was on Manitoulin island.
The skies were grey, and once again, as I rode, it rained lightly. 
It was mostly downhill to Mindemoya. I felt bad being so ahead of schedule, so I found a bench under an apple tree to sit and journal. I could feel the wind really picking up, like a storm was brewing.
At 3 pm I pulled up to Mary's A-frame cottage. I was to be Mary's first WarmShower guest, as she had only signed up to host a week ago.
She was a lovely host and gave me the tour, let me settle in, shower, do laundry...
Then the rain came down heavily and I was thankful I would be inside for the night, thankful my host was open to having me join her dinner party (rather than sending me off to town to get my own supper).
She made a delicious Lemon garlic Rosemary chicken and potato dish that smelled divine baking in the oven!
Two couples came over and I joined them. It was an enjoyable evening.
I made final plans for the final week of my trip. Because of the ferry and timing I've decided to take it easy on Monday, hang out in Tobermory. It's not everyday I'm up that way!

--
- Eritia

No comments:

Post a Comment