Knowing I was camping Sunday night I let myself sleep until hunger pangs forced me up at 8:45 am. I didn't feel compelled to rush, it was Sunday after all.
Fred whipped up a big bowl of hearty stick-to-the-ribs oatmeal for breakfast, which was definitely easier on the stomach first thing than bacon and eggs.
I finally had my first chance to pump up my bike tires to full capacity, since Fred had a presto adaptor (since my tubes aren't the common kind). That needed to happen, in fact I wonder how much it factored into the slowness of Saturday's ride! I basically doubled the tire pressure! (From 45 psi to 90 psi!)
Mona send along two big juicy apples that I knew would be welcome additions to my food supply, especially given the fact I would be cycling through a lot of very small towns and not have supper or breakfast provided while camping.
My procrastination enabled a rain shower to pass without affecting me before I said my goodbyes and rolled out at 11 am.
The sun was hot, but I had some cloud cover, at least for what was left of the morning.
I felt better than I hoped, ready to face the Km's ahead.
Crossed the boarder in Gretna. No line ups or traffic. The crossing guards did a little search (never had that happen before! -glad they let me keep my apples) And I was in North Dakota, and probably an hour later I was in Minnesota!
Lots of flat land, rich dark soil planted with acres of wheat, barley, corn, canola, soybeans and hay. Very rural.
Listened to a sermon I had missed from my home church which made it feel more like Sunday, and gave me some good stuff to think about as I rode.
My average was significantly better than yesterday's, although the wind was still present, it was a bit all over the place. That helped, especially since I got such a late start! The Km's rolled on by. Not really anywhere to stop so I made do with the food and water I had with and kept the pedals turning for endless stretches of flat land.
150 Km's, just over 7 hours.
I was so incredibly done, so ready to stop and rest, to shower, to drink and drink and drink water.
The campground was in Old Mill State Park, a heritage site, campground and nature hike area. It was lovely being among the shadows of the trees, out of the sun.
Showered, applied bug spray liberally, set up my tent, ate (trail mix :) and drank, the wandered on over to the historic mill. There I laid in the grass and read my book, wrote in my journal and sketched, feeling the cool of evening seep in. That felt like a taste of vacation. Real vacation. Thankful to God for carrying me through another long hot day and for the beauty of the nature in this area.
-- - Eritia



Ah, you found a tiny house!
ReplyDelete