Would've loved to sleep longer, but it wasn't meant to be. Once my host saw I was up I was sent out to pick raspberries from the garden for breakfast. There were so many ripe ones and I enjoyed picking in the quiet of morning.
Jeff made a cheesy garden omelette to go with fresh fruit and toast for breakfast.
I signed their guest book and got ready to get on the road. It was one of those days without a defined destination. I had a rough idea of where I'd be but no host waiting.
Jeff gave me directions out of the city and I ended up on a road parallel to Hwy 17, through the Indian reservation for the first while but inevitability I had to ride on the dreaded 17.
I passed 3 other cycle touring folk, what seemed to be a father and two daughters. They were stopped and intent on discussion, so I simply said hello and I rolled by.
The wind was, unfortunately a strong South East one, which made forward progress that much more challenging, since that just so happened to be the direction I was travelling.
There was little to no shoulder to ride on, so I was glad when there was double lanes each direction. Most of the traffic seemed to give me room, which I appreciated.
A truck driver going the opposite direction gave me a friendly toot of his horn and a thumbs up.
I began to notice signs for horse and buggies, and buggy tracks in the loose gravel on beside the Hwy. Didn't realize there were Amish living in the area! Saw a couple roadside stands for produce and baking but didn't really want to stop.
An SUV pulled over the driver getting out and beckoning me, which I felt was a bit odd. Turn out it was Tome, the only WarmShower host along this stretch of road. He invited to me come camp at his place in Thessalon, telling me he had sausages and beer, and that the three cyclists I had passed were coming as well, and that it was his 68th birthday the next day, so I should join he party!
As kind as it was to be so generously invited I really had hoped to be further along by day's end, and if I was completely honest with myself I really was not feeling up to socializing, but I told him I'd see how I felt when I reached Thessalon.
It was such a frustrating ride into the wind. My right shoulder was causing much pain and the numbness in the left hand growing.
I stopped in Thessalon having seen an advertisement for a bakery, and I had a hankering for fresh bread. I used it as an opportunity to stop. I was 5 hours into my ride and only 95 Km's.
I was able to buy a half loaf of WW bread, since a full loaf would've been awkward to take along.
Then I continued on, turning on the audiobook to help pass the time.
As tempting as a free place to camp the cost of having to be social felt like to great a price to pay, so I went onwards.
As I neared Iron Bridge I saw a campground and went to ask what the fee was. By that time I was feeling completely done, and it was nearing 5 pm, so even though it seemed more expensive than I liked, I would have shower access AND free wifi in the deal, so I stayed.
First thing I did was lie down in the grass flat on my back too exhausted to move. I decided to first shower, then eat, then set up camp.
I was actually excited for my supper of tuna on WW bread, with trail mix for dessert :)
Then, after setting up my tent, I had time to sit and journal and draw my sketch for the day, something I hadn't been making much time for in the recent past.
There was rain in the forecast so I repositioned my tent.
At least it wasn't anything like the crazy thunderstorm the other night I had been camping! No flooding tent, just a wet one.
-- - Eritia




No comments:
Post a Comment