Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Taking my leave of Arizona, Ash Wednesday

It was hard coming to the end of such a fabulous trip, hard to pack up my bike.
But one must live in forward motion.
It was really nice being able to end where I started, at Heather and Terry's place.
Terry had picked up a box for me from a local bike shop since the one I came with had been damaged with all the airport handling. I couldn't bear the thought of packing it up right away, so I left it till Wednesday morning.
My hosts made fabulous pancakes for supper, since it was in fact Shrove Tuesday, day before Ash Wednesday, and there is a tradition. Pancakes make awesome supper, especially when my body is burning so much carbs.
Things are going to change soon though and I'm going to have to adjust my eating habits, since basically I have felt I could eat anything and still not gain weight.
Heather invited me to join her for the Ash Wednesday service at the Episcopalian church she grew up attending, and I was more than happy to.
Ash Wednesday is a time of confession. 
So I looked up some confessional prayers online to reflect a bit. It was good to just take a moment to recognize all I'm not, and all the ways in which God saves me despite myself. To remember that being identified with Christ does not mean I'm a good or perfect person, but rather that I have a good and perfect saviour!
In some ways confession is hard, it's humbling, but it really puts things in their rightful place. Makes me open to receiving grace and mercy and to be aware of how amazing God's love for me is! God is God, I am not and I can do nothing to save myself.
Service was at 7 am, but I figured I'd better start getting used to reverting back to the eastern time since tomorrow everything will be two hours earlier.
I was the youngest person there. I appreciated the service, the reflective space.
Received the symbol of ashes on my forehead, that tangible reminder that we are all dust and ashes apart from the grace of God.
My bike I took apart and boxed along with one panniers worth of things.
Travelling light is awesome. My bike box was the only piece of luggage I had to check in.
It looks and feels like late spring here, I shall miss it when I return to the world of winter again. 
Went for one last run in shorts and t-shirt under the Arizona sun before Heather kindly drove me to Sky Harbour Airport at 11 am.
3weeks ago... And then, spring comes!
I was given grace yet again, having the oversize baggage charge waived.
I feel tanned, fit and well. I have truly been incredibly blessed on this trip. No flat tires. No incidents with cacti. No crashes. God has been merciful and good!
I have been challenged to persevere when things felt hard and long. Challenged to be always thankful and aware of the gift of the everyday. Challenged to be willing to receive the kindness extended to me in so many ways by so many people.

No comments:

Post a Comment