Friday, February 13, 2015

Another day, just putting on the km's

Yesterday I had a lovely relaxing afternoon, complete with a great nap.
Stayed the night with an Australian lady whose house was very stylish. Fiona was a lady with class, and her supper do "hodgepodge" things was like a gourmet potluck (Turkey pesto sausage, roasted peppers, baked sweet potato fries, cherry tomatoes with feta). Maybe I'm writing about food because I felt a bit, well awkward being there. Those are times when I remind myself it's only for a night. It's not that she wasn't kind or accommodating, it's just that we didn't click.
And so it passed and I was out the door early having eaten a bowl of oatmeal with Greek yogurt.
My goal, to bike the Sabino Canyon road while cyclists were allowed (before 9 am, after 5 pm).
Good thing I left when I did because I had literally just enough time to ride to the end and back. It was a hard uphill, but a lovely downhill. Nice to be in the canyon again, but took no photos I felt in such a rush to get the ride in.
And then, I had a whole day stretch in front of me, and what better way to fill it than to ride my bike. The plan, to ride around the city of Tuscon. Tucson is like a "meadowlands" power centre (box stores) sprawling for miles, so I'm not sad going out to the outskirts again for the weekend.
With time to kill, I found a lovely Starbucks to sit and sip a Green tea latte and relax, with a view of the mountains.
From there I carried on with a fierce crosswind that soon became a sweet tailwind.
Had some not-so-nice shoulders to ride on, and then construction, and then just rather low-end housing areas to pedal through.
Once I got on the bike path things improved and I was free from the constant stress of traffic. Stopped a few times to kill some more time, to journal or check map/routes before completing my ride at 100kms (it could've taken just 24 km but I went the long way around).
Everyday can be so different.

No comments:

Post a Comment