Monday, February 2, 2015

Day trip up to Jerome

It promised to be a very nice day in the Verde Valley today, with a high of 20 C and sunshine, which I'm told is not all that usual for this time of year.
Hearing of the snow and cold back home made me realize again how this trip is a gift. How I should live into this present moment with thankfulness.
It was nice to have another leisurely morning. Time to reflect is a good thing.
I was made a massive blueberry pancake to kickstart my day, which I topped with key lime yogurt, yum!
Today was a real, for fun riding day. No added weight from panniers, just me and my bike (Mr. Fuji).
After some last minute advice from host Peter, I started out (10:45 am).
It was still a bit cool, but with all the climbing I warmed up quickly, stripping my arm warmers.
Oh, how lovely to feel sun on skin again.

The climb up to the old, former mining town of Jerome was steady, so it didn't feel particularly hard. The fact that I had no panniers also helped make it seem relatively easy.
Jerome, once a ghost town has become a tourist town, a fact I noted even as cars with license plates from all over drove on by.


Not being much of a tourist myself, I rode on through the town, looking as I rode but not stopping. I was curious as to how high up the mountain the road went, so I kept riding up 89.
The views were spectacular and I tried to capture it on camera.
I think I just kept riding because I could, because I had the time and energy to do so. Maybe I did it because others couldn't. Maybe I was trying to seize the day, to try live into the moments I have, right here, right now. 
So I went upward, ever upward. I anticipated the downhill, thought I knew it would be cold (sweat cools and it's not like I'm generating much heat from just sitting on my bike!)
I turned around at, what I later found out was the false summit. Just felt like time.
This time when I reached Jerome I kept my eyes peeled for a cafe where I might warm up with a hot drink. Seemed like Jerome was more of a bar and pub type of town though.

It was the fudge shop that caught my eye. I'm a sucker for fudge, especially after a good ride, so I went on in and treated myself to some Rocky Road Fudge, just because. And it gave me this wonderful feeling that I was on holiday (which I suppose I am!)
I took some time to sit and enjoy the fudge and the amazing view before completing my descent.
I biked through Clarkdale and then through Cottonwood.
As much as I had enjoyed the cycling I was looking forward to sitting quietly in the sun and out of the wind to read or write.
Wonderful, to even be able to do that. Even had a hummingbird fly overhead as I sat in the back enjoying the sun.
I have a couple long riding days ahead of me as I make my way back to Phoenix, so I'm making the most of this time.


No comments:

Post a Comment