Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Long ride back to cactus country

Today was marked by grace and joy.
For some reason I didn't sleep all that well, but I was just thankful I had a house to be at, a bed with sheets, a shower, and nutritious food to fuel up on before another long ride.
When one has so little possessions to keep track of it is all the more vital to keep things together. It didn't take long to be packed and ready to ride, but it was quite cool out and so I was fine with having a leisurely breakfast of Devins delicious scrambled eggs and toast and apple butter along with Maddy.
It was about 7 C when I started out, but it was sunny.
Fairly early on I started loosing elevation, whipping down the highway at about 60 km/hr.
I feel like I really want to be in tune with my bike as I travel, to handle it safely with the heavily loaded back end. So far, so good, there is grace even in that.
I was afraid of the way my knees were feeling, but there was grace sufficient for this day's ride and I felt okay.

It was sweaty business climbing, but I couldn't avoid it. Hot on the uphills, chilled on the downhills. The first half of the ride was not so nice, with busy Hwy traffic and terribly messy, gravelly shoulders to deal with.
I remembered seeing this road and the surrounding mountains from the airplane when I flew. It was both exhilarating and daunting, and there I was biking it.
Today was one of those days that I again felt that overwhelming sense of amazement that I am here, that I get to enjoy pleasant weather and a chance to ride in and see places I've never before seen.
As I went down I began noticing the cacti again. The sentinels on the rocky hillsides.
There was, again, no where to really stop, so I just pulled to the side of the Hwy to refill my empty water bottles and strip down a layer, or get a bite to eat.
The most beautiful moments were always as I was on a decent, so I didn't dare take many photos.
By the time I reached the Bush Hwy I felt great, having survived so well, keeping up with fuelling and amazed by the views. Oh, the joy! Soaking up the beauty, it made me happy.
Saw lots of recreational cyclists out.
I kinda went too far, since I didn't consult my map early on, but I felt great, so I just turned myself around and got back on track.

My host, Bill, had said he'd bike out to meet me, so I was a little afraid I might've missed him because of my blunder, however, I was still within the time frame I had given.
In the end it all worked out. Sure was glad he did come out because he and his wife live in a mobile home retirement community and it was an absolute maze.
Almost 140 km today, and I felt good, a nice change from yesterday.
Tomorrow an easy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment