Monday, February 9, 2015

Into Tucson

Everyday is a new adventure of some kind.
Yesterday I had a familiar dish of mashed potatoes and kale, a real Dutch comfort food, but with a twist, moose sausage. And you know, I'm not a big sausage lover, but that sausage was really nice. It's an adventure trying new foods. I've enjoyed the "real food" my hosts have served up. My body has become leaner, my metabolism kicked up a few notches by all the cycling I've been doing. It feels good.
I enjoy spending more than one night at a WarmShower hosts place, gives me a chance to get to know them and feel a bit more settled and at rest within. I don't think I'd make a good gypsy, always on the move. Even while I travel I crave a certain level of stability and routine.
The only thing about staying longer is it makes it harder to leave, to say goodbye, especially if I know I won't likely see them again.
Ron and Barb were so kind, and it makes it hard to know how to say thank-you in a way that expresses how I feel. I hope to stay with them one more night, just before I head back up to Phoenix.
So I got packed up again and was on the road just after 10 am, with a whole day to dawdle my way through Tucson.
It warmed up pretty quick again (today's high of 24 C).
I followed bike paths most of the morning which worked well. Busy streets with traffic can be draining.
I was most grateful that my hosts had encouraged me to make a sandwich and grab a banana for on the road. For some reason I have such a hard time stopping once I get going.
Can't say I was overly impressed with the city of Tucson, but I don't care much for city in general.
I stopped by the university of Arizona campus and then realizing that I didn't have much water, I continued on my way to the far end of Tucson where I'd be staying for the next 3 nights. It felt very strange seeing students around since it feels like summer and university campuses typically don't have many students around when it's summer.
As not as it is, people here don't consider it hot and are still wearing pants, and in some cases, long sleeve shirts, and I'm sweating. I suppose it's all in what one is used to.
I was so relieved and ready to stop when I spotted a Starbucks. I desperately needed to hydrate and cool down at that point.
In the back of my mind I kept thinking about the anticipated and dreaded climb I hope to make of Mt. Lemmon tomorrow. In some ways it's tinged with fear, but I know that it's the kind of fear I need to face... If only for the joy of overcoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment