Today my bike got a break, but I got a ride up to Sabino Canyon with my host, Steve. It was a very windy day, so perfect for an activity like hiking/running. I had 3 1/2 hours to explore the park.
As you might have noticed from the photos I posted, it was a place of incredible beauty, and I felt overwhemed with just seeing it. My mind turned to how nature can compel us to prayer, to praise of the great Creator God. It was a fine thing indeed.
My hosts had recommended the Phoneline Trail, which climbed up and ran along the rim of the mountainside, overlooking the canyon floor. Mostly shaded, it was quite cool, but at least it was somewhat sheltered from the gusts of wind. I was alone for most of the 1 3/4 hr hike along the rim, but it wasn't a bad kind of alone.
I'm glad I got this opportunity, and that I had the energy for it, because it was Awesome!
Once at the bottom of the canyon floor where a paved road ran that carried a tour trolly, I picked up a bit of a run, since it was mostly downhill anyhow. The river that twisted it's way down the canyon ran over the road a bit in places so I got a couple soakers, but it was all good.
By the time I left the park at twelve, it was becoming filled with tourists and outdoor enthusiasts, and I was glad not to have to deal with them (or be reminded that I too, am, a tourist). Tourist or pilgrim?
Tourists come to tour, to see, to check things off a been-there-seen-that list.
Perhaps I do feel more like a pilgrim than a tourist, someone who travels in hope. Seeking. Searching for God in the everyday, being drawn into God's presence as as I journey.
Perhaps it's knowing my time here is coming to a close that I want to make the most of each day and recognize it for the gift it is.
I feel this whole trip has been punctuated by gratitude, and it's a beautiful thing.

No comments:
Post a Comment