Thursday, February 5, 2015

Restful day in sun city

Being on this trip has enabled me to get a glimpse into the different lives people live, different styles, values etc.
It's actually pretty cool getting glimpses, getting little tastes of other lifestyles.
Bill and Gerri are "snowbirds" who come down from a colder place, Pennsylvania in this case, to enjoy the warmth of a place like the Phoenix area, hence the condensed living of a mobile home. I actually like the concept of smaller space living, maybe it keeps things simpler...
Maybe it's like, the larger panniers I put on my bike the more likely I am to drag around more stuff that I really don't need, though it might be nice to have along.
"Things" can equal comfort or status in our world. To have things is not a bad thing, so as long as what we have doesn't have us.
I was struck by a comment from a short film I watched about the Camino, how the things we take along represent our fears. Deep.
The other comment from that film that was, for me, thought provoking, was how as we travel we "make the road our home". In some ways it seems impossible, maybe because I like to think of "home" as a stable place. And yet, I feel at home on Mr.Fuji (my bike), because he is familiar and that makes it comfortable. So is home a place of comfort and safety?
Living such a transient life I have been considering what that means for me, to make this trip not about the destination but rather about the journey. 

So I got a taste of what it's like to live in a retirement community.
Had a chance to use my sleeping bag for the first time, since small space meant they had no spare room, so I got the pullout couch to sleep on. It was fine, still beats sleeping in a tent!
I got fresh squeezed grapefruit juice to enjoy with my breakfast, and an orange picked fresh of the tree.
Had a very relaxed day. Only had about 38 km to bike. Just felt I needed a more restful day after the last few days. 
The sun was shining. Got up to 26 C. Not used to that anymore, so it was very warm being out cycling. I stopped at a Starbucks for a cold drink and to kill some time. I'm so not used to doing nothing. Starting to get some color, gotta watch I don't get sunburn on top of everything else.
Debating whether or not to bike to Tucson tomorrow... Maybe I'm a little scared of the distance I have to cover (160 km or so) and the heat... But gotta face those fears sometime, and often the dread of a thing is worse than the reality, so perhaps it's best to just ride my bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment