Sunday, February 1, 2015

Sweet Sunday

Super Bowl Sunday. And it's the big thing, since it's hosted in Phoenix.
For myself, I didn't pay it much mind.
I had a relaxing morning knowing I had a sweet, primarily downhill, ride ahead of me.
It was 0 C, so frost on the ground, but the sun was out warming up the world.
I took the opportunity to join my hosts for Catholic Mass, as I had never been and was actually keen on going.
It was nice getting out on my bike again, but I have to say, it was really good having time off of it, to be reminded of life off the bike. I appreciate the times I can bike all the more after time off, and today was no exception.
I had a substantial increase in my average speed for the days riding since all the elevation I had worked so hard for would be reversed. How fitting for a Sunday somehow.
The sun was so bright that the shadows were harsh which made me less inclined to stop to take photos sice they wouldn't turn out that nice anyways.

I felt the temperature go up as I rode but it still wasn't t-shirt and shorts weather in my opinion.
I stopped at the Chapel of the Holy Cross. Seems like it was a popular tourist attraction, which made it lose something of it's sacred charm. It wasn't quiet with people coming in and taking photos. 
It was a pretty place, set among the red rocks.


I took another route back to Cornville, through the little village centre. It felt very much like a desert town, but perhaps it felt more that way because I was out of water by the time I rode through.
Peter and Geni welcomed me back and I rehydrated, showered and got my laundry going.
It was a pretty evening.
Tomorrow I hope to do a day trip up to Jerome. The thought of riding without my panniers is a happy one, although I feel like I am starting to get used to the extra weight, I'd still prefer not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment