Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Mount Lemmon!

The day of the Mount Lemmon day trip dawned bright and early with my hosts preparing for work. They had offered to drive me and my bike to the base of the mountain so I wouldn't have to bike the extra km's ou of the city. I was cool with that. Initially I had planned to strap my water bladder on the backrack, but it really didn't work so well, so I decided I would just go up with the two bottles I had on my bike. The morning was quite cool and I knew that as I climbed it would get cooler. They don't call the town near the summit "Summer Haven" for nothing! 
I had heard of how the climb is desert at the bottom and snow up at the top and wanted to experience it for myself.
What a glorious day.
It was so lovely being in the comparative quiet of the mountain. It was really very nice since most of the climb was a 5% grade, not so steep, just steady. It was easy to get into a rhythm of peddling upward, ever upward.

I enjoyed it so much, maybe because it just felt so good not to be taking panniers full of stuff along with, maybe because I was conquering a fear, maybe just because I was sufficiently rested and ready to take it on. As I rode I kept thinking, I wanted to do the climb again!
I had all day if I wanted. It was a lovely place to be.
When I reached the town I took the road up towards the ski slopes in hopes of getting as high as I could go. The road was closed at the base of the slopes, closed to cars that is. I could go on, at my own risk. But really, don't I ride at my own risk every time I get on my bike? So I went onward keeping my eyes open for ice (the reason the road was closed in the first place). I was near the top when the ice coated the road and I felt it would be a foolish risk to take to continue on. It was very quiet and peaceful there. No noisy cars, just the soft breezes in the evergreens. I let myself soak it in for a few moments before whipping downhill with my hands on the brakes. At SummerHaven I stopped at the General Store to get my water bottles refilled and to buy, well... Fudge, again. I had packed some sandwiches along so I ate them rather than chewing down on the raspberry chocolate fudge.

It wasn't all down hill from there, but mostly, yes. My legs were tired from all the uphill climbing, so it was glorious being able to fly down the mountain side. I've never had a more enjoyable mountain to descend, there weren't any hairpin turns or crazy switchbacks, so I hardly needed to apply my brakes. I made a point of stopping to take photos even though I was having way too much fun riding downhill. My heart was full of song and I sang my way down the hill.
As I descended the air grew warmer and warmer and I had to shed all my layers again. Back to the desert again.

Saw a good number of other cyclists out as well, from Pro teams training to locals putting in a good ride.
103 Kms by the time I got back to my hosts house to shower and rest. A very good day, thanks be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment