Saturday, February 14, 2015

Life is full

Friday evening, after a good homey meal of rice and curried lentils, I went out with my hosts to a "Playback Theater" production in Tucson. I had never heard of or had been to such a thing before.
There were four actors wearing plain clothing, who could use only coloured scarfs as costume/props, one musician with a whole variety of instruments, and a conductor.
The theme of the night was love, but in the varied sense of the word. 
The audience was encouraged to tell of what came to mind when they thought of love, and what they shared was turned into small impromptu acts by the actors, put to music by the musician. So really, it was the audience really dictated the show.
Pretty unique, seeing people's experiences fleshed out with actions like that.
Saturday morning was, of course Valentine's Day.
Bill made waffles for/with his wife Dakota, which I and a neighbour lady got to enjoy together.
Went for a lovely run in the nearby desert preserve, and when I got back went and picked an orange off their tree to eat. The novelty of such things still catches me off guard, and I can't believe this is for real somehow.
My day activity was to go visit the Sonora Desert Museum. My host had a guest pass that I could use, which was great since it saved me about $20! So I biked the 17 km's over Gates Pass and locked my bike there.

At first I was a bit skeptical about the whole going to a museum, perhaps also for the fact that it was Saturday and busy with tourists. But end of the day I was glad for having gone and experienced it. 
I learned some crazy cool things, like the fact that the huge Saguaro cactus don't even get arms until they're 70 years old! No wonder people pay up to $1000 to get a big one transplanted into their yard!
Saw some of the wildlife I would otherwise not have been able to see, like wildcats. I was lucky enough to have seen Javelinas in Cornville. Strange, almost piglike creatures. The ones in the park were happily napping in the shade.
I saw many hummingbirds throughout my trip and at the park.
The best was that there was actually a labyrinth in the park. I've appreciated the spiritual aspect of walking labyrinths and praying as I walk, so it felt a little bit like a place of peace amidst the milling tourists who had no time or interest in the labyrinth garden. Dakota (Bill's wife), mentioned, before I left that she had a labyrinth beside their house. Two labyrinths in one day. I liked Dakota's better, because it was longer and even more peaceful, since their house is comparatively rural.



I particularly enjoyed looking through the art gallery, which featured paintings and sculptures of wildlife. Inspiring. Makes me want to paint again...
My host, Bill, rode out to ride back with me, great motivation to get out for a ride himself. I'm feeling ready for a break, so tomorrow I will only do what is absolutely necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment