Friday, February 6, 2015

Long, but good, ride to Oro Valley

I love early mornings, and that feeling of newness that comes with the dawn.
Feels good to wake up refreshed and ready for a new day.
The long ride before me had me up and ready to ride by the time the sun was bringing light to the world.
I didn't want to leave before my host was up though so I just got all ready to ride, and had some oats I had soaked the night before. Felt a bit bad leaving so soon, but I felt the need to start my long ride sooner rather than later.

Got my tires pumped and was on the road before 8 am.
The morning was still cool so I wore arm and knee warmers.
I considered going to Starbucks for second breakfast and a washroom break, but found a park with washrooms and, an hour into my ride (I was still in Phoenix dealing with the stop and go of traffic lights), I saw a Safeway grocery store and decided to buy a few things to supplement my diet of energy bars.
I haven't been in a grocery store since coming to the States, and felt a bit overwhelmed by the amount of choices, but it was nice too,just having the freedom to choose and buy my own food again (not that I mind other people feeding me! I have been so blessed!)
Walked out with 2 bananas, a delicious looking "energy" bun and a fresh blueberry bagel.
All the store employees were so polite and kind, maybe because it was still early and they don't see too many gals decked out in cycling clothing walking through their store.
I was happy to leave behind the crazy urban sprawl and 6 lane roads.
Outside the city it was pretty barren land. I believe it was part of a reserve.
I made the most of it, but there really wasn't much to see, at least, the terrain didn't change much.
I was glad it was so flat, a nice change from all the hills, and easier to put in the Kms.
Passes three guys who were also touring on the opposite side of the road, wondered where they came from and where they were going.
Saw an airplane, and then 7 people drifting slowly to earth with parachutes of some kind, it helped take my mind off the way my body was starting to ache. Shoulders, lower back, knees... Fortunately the pain didn't last the entire time.

Day warmed up and extra layering came off.
I love having the water bladder, it has got to be the best thing I purchased for this trip! It's like having my own water source to refill my bottles right on the back of my bike, and today I needed it big time.
I just kept riding. Time passed. There was hardly any shoulder on some of the roads.
I was glad to discover there was a road (equivalent to a service road in Ontario) that I could ride on instead of on the actual highway.
I kept eating, I kept drinking. I took some photos from time to time.
Passed a Dairy Queen. Could've stopped, but didn't feel compelled to since the day was only getting hotter.
It really started feeling like summer. Reapplied sunscreen, refilled bottles. Watched the km's roll on by. There was little shade, so it felt so wonderful when, for a brief instant I got a little shade. Felt like I had a bit of a tailwind to give me some grace.
I thought about Lorica prayer as I rode. The prayer of protection. God going before me, behind me, being beside me, above and beneath me. It was comforting, and filled me with gratitude that I wasn't really alone as I rode.
165 km later... Unreal, haven't done that many km since, 2013!, in one go I mean.
Phoenix to Tucson is like going to Toronto and back from Hamilton!
I was welcomed in by Ron and Barb.
I was so flushed and warm from the hours of being in the saddle under the sun that the first thing I did after getting a tour of their place, was get my swimsuit on and take a cold, but incredibly refreshing swim in their pool. Once I was sufficiently chilled I got to relax in their awesome hot tub. My muscles were loving it. Then back in the cold pool before getting showered and dressed.
 I am so blessed!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Eritia!! That is one huge bike ride!. Good for you!. Glad you are arriving safely at your destinations .We miss you at the Dutch shop. I think everyone knows how important a role you are, by being there.It will be so good when you are back. :)

    ReplyDelete