Okay, so, the Wednesday story...
I didn't sleep well at the "farm". They had invited me to join them for dinner but didn't have it ready till 9 pm (which is bedtime for me!) Still, it was kind of them to share the jerk chicken, rice and watermelon.
It was one of those nights I was glad for earplugs, because people were talking into the wee hours.
What a relief when morning came and I could be out riding again! It was such a lovely morning and held promise of a nice day. 7 am I was on the road.
The mosquitos are something else this year (with all the rain we've been having!) bug spray is a must for mere survival!
Rode the Cataraqui Trail for a bit till I I had enough, it was near its end by then anyhow. Smiths Falls is a beautiful town, with waterfalls and locks. Didn't stop for pictures though. The lighting was too harsh that time of morning.
Google maps had me following a gravel road for awhile, which was fortunately hard packed and easy enough to ride.
It was a day when stopping to read my map was a bad idea as I'd immediately have mosquitos keen on biting me.
By the time I made it back to paved road the wind had picked up considerably, and it wasn't in my favour today. But I was on a mission, to get to The Great Canadian Bungee for my already-booked jump.
But there were moments it felt like I was being tested, how badly did I want it? Was I willing to fight for it?
Found another rail trail, this one of fine gravel (and fine dust which got all over me and the bike!) it led me right to Ottawa.
Then along the Ottawa River (paved) bike path for awhile with a brief cracker and cheese break.
Then, into Quebec! That felt strange, to hear people speaking French around me. In some ways it felt a bit intimidating, since I don't understand the language.
Rode into Gatineau Park for a bit, beautiful but a bit too hilly for my liking and not as direct a route as I wanted.
Onto 105, where it was a series of hills. It was hard to push through the last bit. I was getting tired, worn and in need of a break in the shade...
Finally I got to my destination! My much needed break had to wait a bit though...
After checking in, putting running shoes on, having a little something to eat and drink they put me with a group of five others. We walked up the (200 ft) hill to the platform.
I felt really mellow, maybe because I was tired. Being way up there didn't feel scary at all. I was the last to go because apparently I was the lightest of the group (they weigh you beforehand and write your weight on you hand). I was okay watching the others go before me.
It wasn't scary till the moment I had to step off the platform (the video showed me with a confidence as I stood waiting for the countdown) with my ankles attached to the bungee. Then a moment of "I'm seriously going to just jump off the edge of this and fall?!", slightest of hesitation, before going down headfirst, the speed of which felt breathtaking an exhilarating. What a rush!
I had requested not to go in the water, one less element to worry about I guess. So when I reached bottom I rebounded back like 160 of the 200 ft I'd gone down. I breathed and smiled and went with the flow, but as my weight hung from my ankles I felt ready to be done. After bouncing a bit I was taken down into a boat when I was unharnessed and brought to the shore of the old quarry. My legs were trembling from the experience.
And so I did it! My first bungee jump (and Puji went along for the ride as well :)
Then I went to have that break I'd been craving, sitting in the shade eating good food and watching as others jumped.
I felt much better after resting, ready to ride again.
I had had to switch hosts last minute because the one I had hoped to stay with hadn't been so good with communication and I had no address to go to in the town of Wakefield. But that nasty tailwind turned headwind as I headed back the way I came to Chelsea, with good tunes keeping me enjoying being on the bike again. (If anything being stretched by a bungee helped me :) and so another 149 km day got logged.
I was a first time WarmShowers guest for a lovely couple who lived in a gorgeous house. Super nice people that were a pleasure to be around!
No comments:
Post a Comment