Thursday, August 17, 2017

Day 12, following Erie out of Buffalo

Wednesday Day 12.

Had a really good sleep. Made myself some oatmeal for breakfast. glad I had taken some along, as in not hosts provide breakfast.

It was another beautiful morning.

I was on the road by 8:15 am. I couldn't wait to get out of the city.

My first impression of Buffalo was not a very good one. However as I'm rode I discovered it had many beautiful old buildings and green spaces, even the waterfront near the downtown was better than yesterday.

Google maps is not super reliable but thanks to my GPS I was able to figure out my route as I rode.

Road along the old lake shore road where there were a lot of beautiful properties with large homes.

I needed bathroom break, so I asked my Garmin to tell me where the nearest Tim Hortons was..

Six kms can feel like a long way when you have to go...

It was a relief to reach it. I got myself a peanut crunch donut as a treat and sat down for a bit to catch some wifi before heading out on the road again.

Nice having a bit of a tail/cross wind since there aren't many East wind days. 

The route, followed 5, which was quite busy.

Got my music going and worked away at my remaining kms.

Took a break every hour to eat something so I could keep up my energy.

It got pretty sunny and warm out, but the breeze blew cool from the lake.

I saw the lake on and off between trees and houses.

I arrived at my Warmshower hosts place just past 2:30 pm.

Truth is, I was looking forward to a leisurely afternoon.

My hosts were unique in that they don't cycle tour themselves but love hosting those who do.

I got my own private bedroom and bathroom in the basement (once an in-law suite).

I enjoyed fresh peaches and a chance to figure out where to stay in coming nights. Sometimes it feels like work trying to plan the logistical details.

Spent some time journaling.

Amy shared a nutritious supper with me, and let me try five different kinds of locally made cheeses, which was incredible and made my day! Well, that and the fact I could watch a Netflix movie on the big screen with a big bowl of delicious freshly popped popcorn (they have a movie theatre style popcorn maker!).

Super chill, just what I needed. (My hosts were out in the evening anyways).

--
- Eritia

No comments:

Post a Comment