Slept well in my own sleeping bag in a camper trailer and got up early to get ready to ride.
I was feeling ready to ride again!
Rolled out just before 8 am and headed through Picton to the Glenora Ferry (which is fortunately free). It goes every 1/2 hour in the morning and I had just missed the one so had to wait, but I was okay to just sit and process in my journal.
The morning was cool but it was pleasant.
The ferry ride was maybe 10 minutes across.
It was nice riding along the Waterfront trail, it went right along the water for some sections.
There is a group of around 100 (international) bike messengers that have been on the same route I'm on for the last few days, though yesterday was the first day I saw them (a bunch stopped at the Bike Shop in Bloomfield where I was staying)...
So as I rode I kept getting passed by these unique individuals. Many rode singlespeed fixies and had lots of tattoos. At one point I latched on the back of a group of about 8 of them and kept pace until they peeled off for a break (store).
They are headed to Montreal (from Toronto) for a competition. (So cool!)
Then I changed course and headed North. Time for my detour (that will take me an extra 3 days), up to Gatineau (more on that later).
I think the key to long riding days is diversity, that, and taking breaks.
Rode along the road, which was rather busy for the most part, for a chunk of time. My highlight was passing a cheese factory, for which I stopped. I was practically drooling over the selections, but I had to limit myself since I don't exactly have refrigeration on the road. I've been craving cheese for some reason. The Mango Ginger Cheese sounded adventuresome, and I wasn't disappointed.
Then I found the Cataraqui Trail and started following that. It was a lovely diversion after being on the road with incredibly beautiful scenery. The whole area is full of lakes. I don't think I realized what this part of the country was like. Super nice though.
It was slower riding on the gravel (that and I kept stopping to take photos!). It was diverse, sometimes, fine gravel, double track, then single track, then wet, then mossy, then overgrown. I was very much alone on the trail for the most part.
When the black flies discovered me I rode harder, trying to keep them at bay. Still got a few bites, but not too bad.
I was ready to be back on the road again, so ready.
See, diversity is good!
I used my Bluetooth speaker (which I now have mounted on my handlebars) to play some music to keep me from going crazy from the traffic.
I stopped in Portland, saw a sign for a food mart and was able to do something about all the things I was craving... Bananas, apples, and crackers (to go with the cheese).
Then I found a public park to sit in, cool down and journal some more before heading to Lombardy where I had a host lined up.
Another interesting place to stay. Lots of young adults living together on a neglected farm. It's just for a night, I tell myself when it's not ideal...






No comments:
Post a Comment