Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Day 11; Morning Sun, Afternoon Rain


Tuesday, Day 11
After a half decent night of sleeping in my tent I took my bike into town for breakfast at Sam's Diner. Well, mainly for the wifi, second because the oatmeal I brought isn't much good without boiling water...
The waitress was good enough to provide me a bowl and hot water along with my sourdough toast and glass of milk. So I had a good filling breakfast.
Once I got caught up on Internet stuff I went back to the Canal Park to take down my tent and get ready to ride.
The other cyclist who had camped a ways over had already packed up and left. I never really even got to know his name...
It was a lovely, albeit humid, morning.
The path along the canal was quiet and seemed to change little.
At around 10:30 I rolled into Medina (one of the bigger port towns).
A friend had said she'd be staying there a few nights starting Tuesday, so I found a cafe in town so I could try text and connect with her. The "Shirt Factory Cafe" was a lovely spot with an outdoor patio in a historic building, that turned out to be the hotel my friend mentioned she was staying at.
I had a lovely mango smoothie and enjoyed having a break.
Just when I was thinking of heading out again, not having got any responses (almost an hour later), who should pull up than Val and her group of lady friends!
Familiar face in an unfamiliar place.
I'm glad I didn't miss seeing her after all!
They invited me to join them for lunch but I was itching to get back on the bike as I still had over 70 kms to bike and the sky was darkening with rain clouds.
I resolved to bike, rain or shine.
The first rain was not crazy heavy and it still felt warm, so I just put my wind vest on instead of raincoat.
This was only the second time I've had to bike in the rain despite all the touring I've done.
It stopped as it started but I could see a really dark cloud approaching threateningly.
Just as I got into Lockport the fat plops of rain began falling.
I got off the Canal trail and spotted a picnic shelter which I got under just as the heavens opened and the rain fell in torrents and the thunder and lightning came.
I pulled out my food bag and had myself a proper lunch with the food my parents had left me (cheese, carrots, hard boiled egg, as well as my crackers), it felt like a pretty well rounded meal!
When the rain let up to a more moderate level I ventured out into it. I had places to go after all!
I could still see thunder and lightning but it was off to the side so I didn't feel threatened by it.
Rode along the road, cycling route 5.
And got very wet.
It finally cleared up and the sun came out again.
Made it to Tonawanda where I picked up the Shoreline Trail, which proved to be a much quieter was to traverse the city into Buffalo where I was staying the night. Just what I needed. Not many people out on it, probably due to the recent rain.
Can't say I like big cities much. At all. They can just be overstimulating and busy.
Such a contrast to where I stayed last night! 
I felt a bit uncomfortable riding in Buffalo. It just wasn't giving me good vibes, and maybe that was just the waterfront area (quite the opposite of the Canadian side! Here it's very industrial and concrete).
Stayed with a couple who, I was relieved to find, lived in a bit of a nicer area of town in a big old house.
My first order of business was to wash my dirty bike and especially to relube my chain.
It just made more sense to wash it while I was still dirty, even though I was eager to get in the shower. (Sometimes it feels like the best part of my day, to get in the shower after a day of riding!)
Adrienne was preparing a Thai inspired meal for a dinner party she was hosting for a few friends, which she invited me to join in on.
I did, but excused myself at 8:30 pm when my introvert side felt "topped up by people interaction" and I needed to unwind from my day. I'm glad I had the courage to do that rather than put on my extrovert face beyond what was comfortable or even enjoyable.

--
- Eritia

No comments:

Post a Comment