Slept well.
Enjoyed a leisurely morning. No rush to be on my way today because I didn't have as far to ride.
Had a lovely breakfast with my hosts. Nothing quite like homemade granola!
I thought to go to church with my hosts but the service was not till 10:30, which meant I wouldn't get on the road till probably 12:30 and doing the calculation in my head it just seems a bit too much, besides I had told my hosts I'd be there mid afternoon, so I rolled out at 10 am.
It was a beautiful morning, clear blue sky and cool.
I rode back down to the Waterfront trail.
It reminded me of being in England last year, following the National Cycling Route, in and out, all sorts of changing conditions, on the road one minute, then rough trail the next.
It does grow tiring after awhile, inconsistencies.
But being away from the busy road was nice... So I took it in as it came.
The lake looked so beautiful, turquoise blue just over to my right.
Passed a grove of trees that looked kinda like a park, but then I noticed plaques by each tree... In memory of... So I suppose it was like a graveyard, but in a nice sort of way.
My chain came off. But I had rags to wipe the grease off my hands. There is something about having everything I need with me on the bike... Food (took 4 Kgs along so I wouldn't have to stop or worry about where I'd get my next meal) clothing, shelter (tent plus accoutrements), repair tools and first aid. Life can be simple :)
I didn't really stop till I got to Cobourg. It was a hot happening place, sidewalk sale or something. I had to go around town to get to Victoria Park. Last time I was there was 2011 when my sisters and I did a triathlon relay together (the benefits of having two sisters:) Ah memories. I found a tree to lean my bike up against and sat, do laid down (which by the way feels incredible after being hunched over the handlebars of a bike for hours!) Ate the apple I brought as well as a real Dutch Stroopwafel I had brought along, so tasty!
Then onward! Starting to develop some sores which is making sitting on my bike seat harder. All part of bike touring.
My friend Janell's parents live just up from Cobourg so I arranged to stay with them even though Janell herself is on the East coast. (We stayed with them race weekend as well back in 2011).
They have a lovely spot out in the country, so nice to be able to stay here with familiar people. 108.5 kms of riding for the day.
They had a fire going for cooking supper and the sound of the fountain in their pond in the background, mmmm so lovely!




No comments:
Post a Comment