Monday, August 14, 2017

Day 9; leisurely day...practically a rest day ;)

Sunday

I have to say it was hard being in a smokers home. Made me realize just how sensitive I am to second hand smoke. Not sure how people do it...

But that aside, I managed to get a decent nights sleep.

Listened to a Pray-as-you-go podcast, which was lovely. It is Sunday after all, and the days of the week are becoming inconsequential. Every day I get up and ride my bike :)

Ken fixed up pancakes for breakfast and then rode out with me for the first 20 minutes.

It promised to be a beautiful day.

I had no rush. Only about a 100 km to ride and my next hosts specifically saying not to come till 4:30ish.

So I found a sport field next to a Budweiser plant and hung out on the bleachers for awhile to journal and relax, which was lovely.

Then back on the road. I had a podcast of last week's sermon downloaded on my iPad so I connected my Bluetooth speaker and for the next section of my ride listened as I rode. Nice to have some different stimulus, and keep up with the current sermon series at my church.

The area was very rural. Lots of cornfields.

Found bits of the Erie Canal trail, mostly gravel, but pleasant to ride on.

Stopped in at a Dollar General for crackers and packets of tuna to snack on later.

Kept my eyes open for a good place to stop, but they seemed scarce on the route I was following.

Seems like people have nothing better to do around the small towns but mow their yards. Crazy how much land they mowed and how trim they kept it! Might be a matter of pride round these parts...

Finally spotted a couple picnic tables under a tree next to some kind of industrial building. As it was Sunday no one was working, so I pulled over to kill some time.

Ate, drank, journaled some more, did a bit of reading.

Then onward.

The day was getting pretty warm by then.

Lyon was a pretty big town comparatively (I mean, it had a McDonald's!)

My hosts lived just outside it on a hobby farm.

The house was incredible. Just beautiful in that country comfort sort of way.

Carl and Anne are lovely people and made sure I had what I needed.

I'm glad I got to stay with them (they have a policy of one WarmShower guest a week, since they're really the only host in the area), so I feel even more glad to be here.

Anne cooked up the most incredible supper ( rice pasta with homemade sauce, sausage, stuffed zucchini with pecans... And the most delicious salad I have had in a long time, with beets and kale and all sorts of nutritious stuff!)


--
- Eritia

No comments:

Post a Comment