Friday, August 11, 2017

Day 6; south bound to Brockville

What should I say about today? (Thursday)

I woke up not knowing where I'd lay my head down that night, but it is all part of the adventure.

I was able to sleep in and not be rushed to get out since my host, Brian, had opted to work from home.

Last few days have been early mornings get up and go, so it was lovely to have a change of pace.

I opted to head for Brockville, and Brian helped me figure out places I could stay.

Camping sounded like a decent option. I mean I was dragging a tent along, may as well put it to good use!

Rolled out at 9:15 am and followed these amazing bike paths to cross the Ottawa River back into Ontario. Passed an amazing display of gardening genius (and line ups of people waiting to get in).

It was neat seeing the Parliament buildings again. It's been so many years since I was last in Ottawa, so I made a point of biking through the madhouse to see the beautiful buildings up on Parliament Hill.

Then to the Rideau Canal path, and managed to make my way out of the city to a recreational rail trail that took me the direction I wanted to go.

I could feel the fatigue buildup in my muscles and tried to just take it easy.

I knew that if I wanted to get to where I needed to go I had to keep moving.

I thoroughly enjoyed the moist nutty banana bread Brian had sent along.

The day wore on.

Passed Kemptville, where I once considered attending college.

Brief stop in Spencerville by a church graveyard until the misquotes compelled me to get back on my bike again.

I was tired and a nap sounded like such a nice idea.

Kept plugging away at the distance I hoped to cover. 

When I went through Prescott I stopped at a Tim Hortons break (bagel, tim bits, fruit chill drink). It just felt so good to be off the bike, to be in the cool air conditioning, to get some wifi. I wished the riding was done but I still had an hour to go.

Rode by the St.Lawrence River. Pretty but busy and no shoulders on the road.

Brockville looks like it has a lot of history. It's a beautiful town. Very touristy though.

I did pass a Metro, where I stopped to pick up a few groceries so I could have a decent supper that night (crackers, cheese and fruit! Mmmm).

Not much further up the road was the St.Lawrence Park campground where I hoped to stay (they have a policy that there's always room for cyclists, and even have a cheap rate for them :)

Got signed in, set up tent, went for a swim, showered, ate, journaled. I was feeling particularly introverted but did make a point of saying "hi" to a fellow cycle tourist. Sylvia, from Switzerland, retired and riding from the East coast to Toronto.

It's nice having the luxury of a real tent instead of the little bivy I usually carry. Camping=no internet :(

--
- Eritia

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for keeping us posted everyday, Eritia! We were glamping with Andrew and Maria in a big yurt in upstate New York. Now we are in Manhattan! (BTW, I could not find your little friend in any of yesterday's pictures! ;) Heit (and Mem)

    ReplyDelete