Thursday, August 17, 2017

Beat the rain to Geneva-on-the-Lake

Thursday, Day 13

13 days of riding done, 4 to go. I'm doing more manageable distances these days, that and my body has adapted to the lifestyle of riding consistently for hours on end.

Granted I'm still dealing with a bit of discomfort sitting on my bike seat, and my left hand is getting very sore from the pressure. But all in all, it's good.

I enjoyed Kombucha again for the first time in, well 11 days or so. My favourite way to start the morning is drinking it...

Amy whipped up a fresh kale frittata for breakfast, served alongside fresh local peaches and cantaloupe and bread. So good getting a solid breakfast to start the day with!

It was another beautiful morning, but there was rain forecasted for the afternoon so I figured I'd best get on the road sooner than later. So I said my farewells and made the road my home yet again.

Wasn't long before I crossed from New York State into Pennsylvania (a state I'm not sure I've been in before...and if I did it was when I was quite a bit younger!)

It got to feeling pretty hot pretty fast, especially riding on asphalt.

Hydration was the key to surviving the ride today!

This is actually a good time of year to be riding as there are roadside stands with fresh produce all over the place.

I stopped in a place that mentioned apples, because after all, an apple a day...

They also had little blocks of fudge and sugar looked mighty appealing, so I got a block of peanut butter chocolate for on the road. Figure I'm on vacation and I'm burning enough calories.

There were more ups and downs on today's ride, but all in stride it was fine.

Had a thought to stop in Conneaut, but none of the businesses really appealed to me... So I headed to the town park only to discover the place swarming with all manner of army personal and equipment... Apparently there was a WW2 reenactment happening, so the place was swarming with people. So I rode on.

Found a tree next to a cornfield that I figured I could sit by for a bit. Ate crackers and trail mix to my hearts content and journaled for a bit.

Then on the road again!

Crossed over the boarder into Ohio, where I noticed the road quality worsened. The heat continued to radiate up causing my feet to hurt.

Rode 123 km, to Geneva-on-the-Lake where I had a WarmShowers host.

These lovely ladies had a cottage next to Lake Erie, which was great because I could jump in the lake to cool my overheated body. That felt amazing!

Then a lovely shower and ice cream with chocolate syrup and nuts.

It wasn't long before a massive thunderstorm rolled overhead and drenched everything!

Glad I was indoors and dry!



--
- Eritia

No comments:

Post a Comment