Wednesday, August 3, 2016

North Holland, let's get started!

 Day one:
Goals for the day included;
Sleeping in (after all I lost a lot of sleep in travel and time difference, which is 6 hours earlier than I am accustomed to), building my bike over at my grandparents place (just up the street from my parents place), buying a SIM card for cell phone, lunch with parents, bike 40ish Km's south to a small town of Vledder.
The day started out with cloud and drizzle, but the weather promised to clear up some, which it did.
Had no issues getting my bike back together (maybe because I've travelled and done it a number of times already).
My Dad was good enough to draw me up some maps so I could follow quieter roads than what Google was suggesting.
It was quite windy and overcast, but it felt good to be out on my bike again.
The first ride is always the one during which the issues come up. Adjusting the bike seat is the only real issue thus far.
I spent just over 2 hours cycling, but it was all very flat and mostly on bike specific paths, which is such a treat, not having to bike right next to cars. (No wonder Dutchies are so intimidated biking in Canada!)
Everything was so green! And so... Cultivated. Granted, the temperature is about 10 C cooler here and rain seems a regular occurrence (in contrast to the dryness of back home...)
I had a place to stay with Martin, his wife Kirsten and daughter Eva. I think they liked having a Canadian guest who could speak and understand Dutch (still working on the speaking part :s)
My stomach was rumbling and the smell of the Nasi goreng dish was amazing! I was happy to sit down with the family after I had showered up and sure conversation.
I'm welcome to sleep in and have a solid day of riding awaiting me tomorrow and a host booked :)


No comments:

Post a Comment