133 Km's today. And I'm feeling it.
The morning started out with a lovely sleep in, great breakfast quark, ( similar to yogurt) and cruesli (granola).
I'm finding myself thinking in Dutch, the language is coming back as I spend time around Dutchies.
By the time I left the small town of Vledder it was already 11 am (5am in Canada).
I followed signs of towns, which I had jotted down. It worked pretty good.
Overcast, and drizzling at times, with the occasional rain dumpage. Headwind most of the time, sad to say. The wind takes a lot out of me.
As nice as it was biking by the IJsselmeer it was actually too windy.
Made it to Lelystad and got a bit... Lost, but managed to get back on track again after a bit of wasted time.
I wished I hadn't told my host I'd be there at 5:30 pm, because there was no way I'd make it at the rate I was going, but the cell I brought with isn't functioning so I have no on-the-road-communication. So I pushed on, hardly taking time to stop, which I felt bad about.
Best part of my day was when I managed to catch a sweet draft behind another road cyclist ( going from 22 km/hr to 29 km/hr). He blocked the wind from beating me up.
Just when I was thinking I couldn't keep it up much longer (needed water refilling from my dromedary water bag and food), he turned off and I went on and stopped to care for my immediate needs.
Then onward, direction Amsterdam.
Had to cross a body of water then head away from the big city to The little town of Ankeveen.
I let my Garmin guide me for the last 5 Km's or so, my head aching, my body tired. What a long day. Nina welcomed me in her cozy apartment, and I felt ate home, showered, ate a crazy amount of delicious pasta, then walked a bit with my host. Beautiful sunny evening, nice quiet village (much nicer than big city!)
No host lined up for tomorrow. Hopefully I can line something up in the next bit.
Hope to see my sister on route tomorrow as I pass through the town she's doing a pottery course in :)




No comments:
Post a Comment