Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Gravesend to Colchester, England

Yesterday really wasn't all bad, just can't say hostels are all that restful, so I didn't exactly have a good nights sleep. I met a lovely Dutch gal named Chantal, one of the five ladies I shared a dorm room with. And Martin the receptionist who was really kind and went above and beyond to help. For instance, he lent me a charger converter since every country has it's own electrical outlet, which makes it a tad awkward with traveling in multiple countries, that way I could charge my Garmin, which has become quite vital in my travels. I also charged my power pack for the following day(?)
It felt freeing to just be out riding. Following the designated cycle route was a bit like playing a game, trying to spot the markers because to miss even one would throw a person completely off track. I'll admit it grew a bit wearisome after a time. The cycling route was a bit of this and a bit of that, definitely not ideal for road bikes, but Mr.Fuji is a good sport and is up for anything (that's just one of the things I love about him ;)
Stinging nettle is everywhere and reaches to touch the passerby. It burns! Beware of relieving yourself in the bushes in England!
I surprised myself by not getting killed by accidentally riding on the wrong side of the road! Messes with the head, trying to deal with opposite side traffic! You try riding opposite in a round about!
I think my good mood became less good when I left the bike shop at 5 pm and realized how late it had got and that I wasn't far as I hoped to be, and still had no place to spend the night.
When I got the hotel they gave me a 10 pound discount and let me keep my bike in my room. It was hard motivating myself to do anything, but I needed to hand wash some cycling clothes for the following day.
Supper was trail mix (again).
Slept ok, better than the night before to be sure.
Got up and had granola for breakfast and got organized to go.
There was a ferry to catch, and usually they leave every 1/2hr, except between 9-10 am, and so I had to wait about 40 minutes. I'm starting to realize having no British pounds (cash) is not so great. Not everyone takes MasterCard, and I discovered the ferry didn't. They graciously let me go without paying. And it was grace, and I thank God for the ways I experience his grace in all sorts of ways on this trip!
Tilbury was a bit of a dump, litter strewn everywhere, I was glad to cycle away from there.
Today was the kind of day that I need my iPod to help me get through. The days ride was just not very nice and my body is very very tired.
Will continue with this post later...


--
- Eritia

No comments:

Post a Comment