I suppose my blogging stopped rather abruptly with the official end of my bike trip portion of my Europe trip being done. Sorry, I had every intention of writing a few follow up posts regarding the remainder of my trip in Europe, but alas, it didn't happen.
I didn't stop taking every opportunity to ride my bike as a means of transportation since I had the option. Besides riding my bike is cheaper than taking the train or the bus, it just costs time and energy, which is had in varying measure.
Holland is so perfect for cycling. It's so normal. So culturally acceptable. People of all ages, all social standing ride their bikes. That's one thing I love about Holland/the Netherlands.
I rarely spent more than one or two nights in the same place, and as the weeks went by that lifestyle, as exciting as it was, made me long for stability and routine again.
After having a lovely time at my Aunt and Uncles (with whom I lived for 3 months, years ago) place in Appeldorn I biked North, through the small town in which I was born and spent the first 3 months of my life, to Meppel, (85 km) where I caught a train to Groningen. My sister Heather, was working on making a new apartment space a home for herself and her new husband, Joas. Pretty stressful pre wedding, to settle into a new, shared space, but I helped where I could.
My other sister joined us and we had some sister time, eating cake at a cafe, shopping in the busy city streets and then chilling out at the new apartment.
Then off to Drachten again. Then it was crazy week of pre wedding prep family hangout. I travelled to Veendam where I stayed at another aunt and uncles place (where I lived a month with my brother when I was 11 years old, going to school with my cousins). I went there to bake cake, since my Aunt has the perfect kitchen, complete with kitchen aid mixer and an oven in which I could bake 2-3 cakes at a time.
And so I whipped up nearly 3 kg of sponge cake (which I took along from Canada) with about 60 eggs and baked 18 cakes, to use as layers for the wedding cake and as cakes for the reception. I also made a delicious batch of fresh lemon curd to use in the cakes. I was able to put all the cakes in the freezer to finish later in the week (I returned with my sister Marika and her husband via rental car to do more work on the cakes- 45 min drive each way).Then I had a lovely bike ride back to Drachten again.
Two days before the wedding the whole family went on a trip to the island of Schiermonnikoog by private boat, rented bikes, and enjoyed beach time and each other's company.
After all the preparations and anticipation the day of the wedding was gorgeous with a high of 24 C and sunshine.
The wedding cake turned out (it was a bit of a last minute assembly).
I enjoyed being part of the wedding and helping out where I could, but it was a long day (left the house at 8:00 am, returned at midnight). So much people interactions and reconnecting with uncles, aunts and cousins! Was pretty draining, so after the wedding it was time to chill out. Everyone went their separate ways. It rained. I stayed with my parents a few more nights and packed up the bike again, and said goodbye to my aging grandparents not knowing if or when I will see them again.
Then it was time to return to Canada, to the life I left behind, the routines, the work, and the friends.
--
- Eritia
No comments:
Post a Comment