Friday, August 5, 2016

Day 3-107 km and visit with sister

Day came with bright sun.
My sleeping patterns are still really out of whack which is making it challenging to get a good night of sleep.
I re-asked the host I really wanted to stay with, because the location was so ideal. Thing is some hosts, if they are unable to host in the manner they feel is ideal, choose not to host at all.
Truth is though, as a cyclist passing through even if the host did nothing but offer a place to shower, a place to sleep and maybe a warm meal that is more than sufficient!
So, being in a place of need makes me more aware of my dependence, first and foremost on God to provide, to show his grace and mercy, and further, on fellow man to extend kindness.
Travelling as I do brings me to this place where I am challenged to recognize my need and reach out, to look to a God I can trust in more than I perhaps normally do.
I had a bowl of hot oatmeal and was ready to ride by 9:45, an improvement over yesterday already ;)
Said my goodbyes and headed out into the beautiful morning.
I love the fresh newness that morning offers. It's good being outdoors so much again.
My day was split into two segments, first one was to bike to Gouda.


Along the way a car, tiny thing, smaller than even a smart car, drove by me. Apparently it could only go max 40 km/hr, so it had to drive on the bike path.
Saw lots of road cyclists intermingled with the everyday cycling people as I rode.
I used a combination of google maps, and my gps and of course the cyclist signs.spmetimes I feel like I'm a little crazy for not planning logistics and route so well, but it's really not my thing to do, and I just have to accept the way it is, I mean it works for me. (For the most part).
In Gouda I went to a special ceramics and pottery school where my younger sister, Heather was finishing a week pottery course. I haven't seen her since early May, so it was pretty special being able to include this stop on route.
I gave myself an hour to take a break, to get a glimpse of what Heather has been up to.
Really impressive work! (The class was learning to make tea pots!)
The time went by pretty quick, then it was time to say goodbye again as I had another 50 plus km to cycle before my day was done.
Mix of sun and cloud, a bit of a headwind, but a decent day for sure!
I dreaded the city of Rotterdam. Seems I always get a bit lost and overwhelmed in big cities. Somehow, by Gods grace I was able to find my way through the city and in the right direction.
I'm staying in a condemned school where my host lives with four others (legitimately and somewhat temporarily).
It's actually pretty cool. So nice having a place to spend the night! And shower. And get my laundry done. And eat a good meal. And share some good conversation.
Tomorrow to Belgium!
Apologies for lack of photos, can't get them uploaded...

No comments:

Post a Comment