Planning is bringing the future into the present, that's what it felt like, and it was good having something like this trip to look forward to through the stress of the Christmas season and slow cold January.
Part of me still feels like this is crazy, going to Arizona and just cycling around exploring a place I've never seen or been, But part of me feels like it's a good crazy.
I'm excited and scared at the same time.
I experienced grace already today.
Safety on the slow and snowy roads to Toronto, got to the airport about an hour later than I had hoped, but had already checked in my baggage( even though I knew they'd charge me more since it was rather a oversize, cardboard bike box.)
Perhaps due to the fact that I was a bit late they decided to waive the whole checking to see if it was oversized or overweight and get me through (saved about $50-$75).
Tastes like grace to me.
Forgot to dump the water out of my water bottle, a big no-no going through security. The girl ahead of me had the same problem, and had to go through security all over again, however, an employee, noting the ironman symbol on my carry on bag, and having a sense of respect and admiration for people who do such things offered to go out and dump it for me. Grace.
Perhaps it's when we recognize our need of grace that we are open to seeing it clearly.
Flight was only about 4 1/2 hours, they were 1/2 hr ahead of schedule.
Just seeing Arizona from the air made me feel this overwhelming sense of,yes, this is for real now. No longer just pouring over maps trying to imagine what it will be like, now it's time to live into this reality that I find myself in.
First impressions, it's pretty brown. The mountains are fabulous. There are cacti and palm trees!
A kind WarmShower host picked me up from the airport (after an information desk lady kindly let me use her phone to call). Bike box was a bit beaten up, won't be able to use it again, but the contents were fine. It was a lovely 19 C, warmer than my bedroom at home!
2 hour time difference here.
So good to have a place to stay, share a meal and have a chance to adjust.


No comments:
Post a Comment