Friday, January 30, 2015

Rain/rest day

It's probably good to have this rest day. The rain started bucketing down about 2 hours after I got in on Thursday. I was glad not to have to ride in the rain, especially since the temperature is cooler here (between 5-7 C ). This is when I'm thankful that I brought the layers of clothing I did. And the rain kept up all day Friday.

In some ways it probably seems like I'm just living off of charity, but I don't see it that way.
What is charity anyway? Isn't sharing, people giving something of what they have for the benefit of others? Perhaps charity is like grace in that regard.
Perhaps it's when a person is proud that they can't bear the thought of accepting kindness from others, cannot feel they have any business receiving what they have done nothing to earn or deserve.
I feel I have been a recipient of grace as I enter the homes of my hosts. I still find myself wondering how I can repay them or thank them adequately for their kindness, and I believe that can look different with each person I share life with.
I feel like I'm starting to understand what my friend Nicola said after her Cape Breton bike tour, that people are so interesting. 
It's really been neat meeting so many different folks through the WarmShower network.
From my own hosting experience I realize how it truly can be a blessing to invite someone in and learn from them, get exposed to new perspective or just lifestyle.
I enjoyed creating a berry pie with my host Brian today. It was nice sharing my baking experience with him once he was so keen on learning to perfect the art of baking a pie at high-altitude. Perhaps part of me does miss being in a kitchen creating foods in one form or another, it's just part of what I do I suppose (being a baker by trade and all).
Brian's pie 😊

Tomorrow I take a shuttle in the early morning to go two hours drive up to the Grand Canyon. I am looking forward to it, although I'd have like to bike up. Hopefully the weather will be decent and give me a good view of the Canyon in all it's natural beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment