Today the word would be "traffic", as in never ending traffic since I was on the shoulder of the I-17 Hwy/freeway for the bulk of the day, since it was pretty much the only route I could take.
I spent an evening that included relaxing wonderfully in a hot tub and being loved on by two beautiful pitbulls.
My hosts, John and Laura offered to ride out with me for the first chunk of route, since they go out that way more often.
I was happy for the company since it didn't look like it would be a particularly interesting day, maybe I shouldn't say it that way. I mean, it's fascinating being here, seeing landscapes like I've never seen before, riding my bike like I am, but it was just a long stretch of hwy with not much else.
There was a pretty steady long climb we had to get up, and it made me incredibly thankful that Nicola lent me her triple crankset for this trip. I had about 3 litres of extra water in my water bladder as well, which added some weight, but it was worth having.
Cramping and aching is extenuated by dehydration, which might be part of why I felt so uncomfortable for the last stretch of my ride yesterday.
Gonna have to keep on top of that this dry place.
Using lots of lip balm, a sure sign of the dryness.
It was a cooler day, but gloriously sunny. The farther north in Arizona I go the colder it gets, the higher the elevation, but I figured I'd save the warmth of Tucson for the last part of my trip.
I practiced the "long wandering prayer" , from the Celtic prayer book study I'm part of, as I continued riding alone, just praying for those who have blessed and supported me and for things that came to mind, helped the time pass.
The hill down to Verde Valley was freaking awesome, 7 miles ( yup, I'm in America after all), the view, phenomenal! Only too bad I couldn't take a photo,was just going too fast.
My right shoulder hurt real bad so I found a Wendy's and pulled over. I can't say I felt like eating fast food, but felt a tea was in order. The lady serving me gave it to me for free out of the kindness of her heart. So I sat and warmed up and processed before finishing the last 25 km to my hosts place. Lovely. Just what I needed.
My hosts have such a genuine enjoyment of hosting that it makes this experience such a joy.




No comments:
Post a Comment