Friday, December 26, 2014

Do you see what I see?

The thing that amazes me about artists is their ability to see into the ordinary and pull things out and change perspective and focus.
I think I want to be able to do that more myself, to see beyond what the photo shows, to say, "I like this about this photo and want to enhance or bring it out".
As you may know about me, I enjoy a good challenge, and I was given one recently when I was invited to a Christmas party/ gift exchange and given the thought that I could bring a painting...
I found myself thinking about the people who would be there and what they might like.
Group of Seven inspired me.
Cycling through the countryside and seeing, as if for the first time, birch trees and being inspired, I took my camera and, though the daylight was fast fading, managed a few shots.
I think the biggest thing was that I had to give myself permission to paint how I wanted to paint, to create something I myself found joy and beauty in rather than trying to please an audience.
So, I found that even though I spent hours of time with paintbrush in hand (instead of merely buying a gift to exchange), it was joy, it was worship, it was therapy, it was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment