Thursday, January 29, 2015

Day of incredible natural beauty

Stayed with a lovely retired couple, Peter and Geni, both quite active people themselves with a good deal of travel experience themselves.
This couple have, even before my trip, been very welcoming and eager to help me on my way. As Cornville was a place I anticipate returning to on route back down to Phoenix I also had the ability to relieve myself of some of the weight in my pack, even if for only a few days as I head up to the Grand Canyon. I will be staying with this extremely hospitable couple again in a few days if all goes well.
It's going to be too cold to camp so I was able to leave my tent, sleeping bag and sleeping pad, which was roughly about a panniers worth of stuff ( less weight before a hard climb is great!)
Peter helped service my bike by adjusting the backrack and pumping my tires before I headed out with my stomach full of oatmeal, yogurt and fruit. I even had a banana for on the road which really was nice. I think bananas are the best cycling food out there, complete with biodegradable packaging.
Felt less sore than I had feared but somehow, just tired. I didn't have as long of a ride today, so I gave myself permission to dawdle and take lots of photos. It was pretty spectacular of a place, Sedona, the place famed for its red rocks.
It was such a relief getting away from the busy traffic noise and taking a scenic loop to see the great cathedral rock.
So much beauty... There is a sense in which I don't feel capable to absorb what I'm seeing, like it's all just Too incredible. I made sure to stop and take photos so that at least I'd have them to look back on when this trip is but a distant memory.
I couldn't help but praise the creator God for the amazing diversity in this world, the beauty he brought to be. It made me very happy to be there on my bike.
I met a couple gals, Maddy and her sister, Anna, who were also touring, they had been going for 3 weeks. Maddy had a Bob (beast of burden) trailer. They went on ahead and I never did catch back up to them, what with all my dawdling, or they stopped somewhere and I di notice. (They had stayed with my hosts a night previous.)
Went through the Oak creek canyon, absolutely incredible, just as Hibma had said it was ( he rented a moterbike and drove there on his honeymoon).
That would have been a good place to make a video of the scenery. 
I could almost feel my rock-climbing sister drool over the incredible rock faces I passed by even though she's in Europe.
I had some unpleasant cramping to deal with, but ibuprofen helped.
There was a crazy big switchback climb on the route, reminded me of the mountain climbs I did while touring in France last summer. One peddle stroke at a time. I promised myself gummy worms at the top, yeah for sugar energy! Talk about motivating. (I know I'm a bit silly).
Another incredible view from the top awaited me.




My ride felt so slow, but I gained so much elevation that was understandable.
If I felt not just tired but worn when I was finishing the last 15 km of my ride to Brian and Anne's house. They live just outside of the city of Flagstaff, don't think I realized just how far out.
They had told me they would likely be out, but to go on in and make myself at home. As it turned out Anne was home briefly when I turned up so she gave me the tour and encouraged me to help myself to the laundry, food eat.
After a wonderful warm shower, and feeling sore and almost faint with hunger, I put together the most wonderful omelette on toast and sat to rest and process. 


There is a 100% chance of rain tonight and tomorrow all day, so I'm going to have a rest day here, and then, Lord willing, off to see the Grand Canyon.

No comments:

Post a Comment