Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Another world to explore

I feel as if I've entered a new world, or some kind of time warp. It still seems unreal to see Palm trees and to see leaves and even oranges on the trees here. Hearing a lawn mower was in the distance yesterday as I built my bike was like something I remember but as a distant memory in the world I come from.
My hosts, Heather and Terry, have been so gracious and kind. Ate a delicious take-out middle eastern style meal last night complete with Baklava for dessert.
They gave me my own room with queen size bed and private bathroom, what a treat. They had to go to work but allowed me to linger, to take my time, to allow the outside world to warm up a little more.
Went for a 20 minute run along the "green strip" or also known as the "old canal cut park" in the morning hours so I could get a taste of where I was and just enjoy the sights and sounds of where I am. So many bird sounds.
I seem to have come to sunny Arizona when it's not particularly sunny, not that I mind... Mix of sun and cloud can be a good thing.
Wore my arm and knee warmers.
It was exciting to finally embark upon my journey via bike, and yet I quickly realized that I would have to re-adjust to the feel of having an extra 30+ lbs hanging off of the back of my bike. The first hour I hardly dared take even a hand off my handlebars so as not to disrupt my sense of balance. The longer I rode the more I began to get comfortable, or at least, used to it.
Phoenix is the perfect example of urban sprawl. The city stretches out but never really feels particularly city-ish.
I marvelled at the cactus plants and dusty ground as I rode. That's what landscaping round these parts consists of.
Oh yeah, with warmer temperatures come bugs, forgot about that, not that they've been particularly annoying or anything.
Time passed, km's slipped by.
I had to keep reminding myself to eat and drink, to take moments to stop and rest, to reflect.
Having an iPad for this trip is such a great thing! At one point I stopped at a shopping plaza and found a quiet bench in the shade to eat, drink and jot some of this blogpost. After being on the road in a very barren desert-like area it felt so strange to be among civilization.
I started feeling achy and not so great in the stomach, like the virus I was fighting before I left Canada lingered, it made it hard. Hard to enjoy things the same way. The last 10 km's to my hosts place were hard, it felt like all I could do to keep on peddling.
I reasurred myself that it would all be over. Reaching John and Laura's place was like coming to an oasis ( complete with hot tub). After the hours of being on the road it's such a blessing to be welcomed, given a place to stay, a shower. I thank God for the kindness people have extended to me through this trip.


2 comments:

  1. Hi there Eritia,
    Glad you made it safely to Phoenix!! Jeannie told me about your blog, so I looked it up. It will be nice to follow you on your journey .Isn't it wonderful out there? We loved it there. Wait till you see Sedona!! Stay safe and enjoy the amazing landscapes. Take care. Elaine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome to come along for the ride from the comfort of your home, see you when I get back! This trip has been pretty amazing already!

    ReplyDelete