The day dawned cold and clear. I felt an urgency to be on the road sooner than later and did my best to get organized so I could.
Monty, sensing my fear of what the day held offered that I could stay an extra day to check out the area, and then offered to drive me to the top of the mountain pass (which I later discovered was 80 Km's from his house!)
I didn't want to avoid the challenge that lay before me, knew it wouldn't be the same cruising downhill without first going through the slow but beautiful grind uphill.
Eggs, toast with jelly, sausage and hash browns for breakfast. Monty gave me a package of beef jerky for on the road (something I can't say I've ever used during rides in the past, but some guys live off it). It was the apple and banana that I was given that excited me.
I should've figured out how to take more than three bottles of water... Perhaps using my water bladder bag, but I didn't and I lived to regret it. Running out of water is akin to running out of gas, makes it hard to put in the distance.
Managed to be on the road for 8:20 am. 1 C.
1 1/2 hours out of Truth or Consequences I started the climb. It was just a 1-2% grade but it was tiring nevertheless. And it only got more challenging with dips and steep (7%) rises.
It was painfully slow going, but picturesque. I listed to music till I reached Hillsboro, after that I didn't feel right about polluting the quiet of the natural environment I was cycling through.
My clothes are in dire need of a good washing, I can tell when I can smell myself stink! At least there was nobody but me to notice.
I lost track of how many cattle guards I had to bike over in the course of the day, but it was a lot!
At on point the climbing got serious with a steady 6% grade twisting and turning through the mountainside. The distant snow peaks grew closer and eventually I found myself beside snow covered ground, climbing steadily upward.
Cars tore on by, usually giving me a wide pass. I wonder if they really saw more than the road.
I began to wonder when (or if!) I'd ever reach the top at my 7km/hr pace! I had no concept of where summit was and each road twisted out of sight.
I consoled myself with the fact that if I kept pedalling onward I Would get there.
It was so quiet. I heard rocks and pebbles crumble down beside the road. The wind quietly blew through the treetops. Water occasionally trickled from where the sun had warmed it.
The top was a glorious thing to reach. My rear end was sore, I think I may have discovered where the saying "pain in the butt" came from. It wasn't so much the seat as the muscles that hurt.
At the top my legs were a bit shaky and I hobbled over to the Emory Pass sign to take a photo, eat the apple, drink some of my precious fluids and sit for a bit. Could've gone to the lookout but it seemed too much effort, besides I had been enjoying the vistas on my slow assent for hours already.
Downhill was sweet and sped by. It was not pure downhill from there which was hard because my "climbing muscles" we're all but spent.
I tried to keep eating and sipping my water. Music put on in order to distract me.
When I reached more civilization more hills greeted me. 40 + more Km's to go. I began wondering if I could make it.
The sun lowered directly ahead.
It was one hill after another. I began to understand why Google maps had said the ride would take 10 hours!
My bike felt like a deadweight.
I kept thinking to myself "this is ridiculous!" I had a host waiting in Silver City, so there was nothing to do but press on. His grace is sufficient.
It was starting to grow dark when I reached the city limits.
My Garmin was nearly out of battery power after the 9 1/2 hours of riding.
I had ridden probably 2000 m of elevation.
As darkness was settling over the land I reached Trish's large and beautiful house. It felt strange being off my bike after so many hours. First thing was to drink water., which Trish, impressed I had made it, offered.
What a contrast from host to host.
Showering helped me feel normal again. I had a sunburn (should've reapplied sunscreen... Oops).
A Mac and cheese casserole (lightly flavoured with the areas famous green chili) was bubbling in the oven and Trish served it with boiled asparagus. Food is never quite so good as after a long ride!
Tuesday I rest and recover. Wednesday I will travel on.
--
- Eritia



No comments:
Post a Comment