Friday.
Had a lovely leisurely morning, the house all to myself as Trevor was at his girlfriend's place.
Got all my things organized and packed up in the bike bags, deciding to strap my sleeping bag pack, which was a bit bulkier, to the top of the rack.
Somehow it all fit.
I take comfort from the fact that as I travel my load will be lightened as I eat away at the 13 lbs of energy bars I brought along. It's just easier not needing to have to stop for food when I get hungry, especially if there is no where to stop.
Trevor came by mid morning for one last excursion in Albuquerque (I didn't have a crazy long cycling day planned).
So we took a drive up the mountain. It was indeed, gorgeous up there with all the trees, snow and vistas. It was really cold up there(-6 C and even colder with windchill), and 6 miles up the 14 mile winding mountain road we turned around because of all the snow on the road.
Trevor insisted on taking me to a cafe for lunch. It was one of the places he delivered CSA food boxes to for his work (locally grown organic produce).
Had a delicious sandwich and salad. Wasn't sure about the green chili between the layers of melted cheese and meat, but apparently it's a really big New Mexican specialty. Bonus for me that they had wifi so I could post my blog and email some future hosts.
Once back in the city, I got my cycling gear on and said my goodbyes.
It was about 2 C, but I dressed for it.
Getting out of the city was interesting, especially when the road I was to follow according to google maps was a one way and I had to follow the sidewalk!
Turns out I had a very substantial tailwind to assist me on my journey! Grace on such a chilly day! (Apparently the wind seldom comes from the easterly direction!)
The roads were pretty busy so I just kept cycling, admiring the mountain ridges in the distance to my left.
Just when I was feeling like I really needed a bathroom break I say a public park, complete with washrooms, so I pulled in. Whenever I travel I find I can really appreciate places like parks.
Out of the wind and in the sun I sat and stretched for a bit. I was making good time and would be at my hosts earlier that I had initially thought.
For the last 35 km I tried out my Bluetooth speaker, (a race prize from a few years back), that I had propped securely in one of my water bottle holders.
It was kinda nice, a diversion from the traffic rushing by, a familiar link to my "other" life.
I was just thinking how impressive it was that all the yapping dogs were well fenced in this neck of the woods, when two dogs darted underneath a gate and came out after me. All I can say is, glad I had momentum and a tailwind!
I wasn't really sure what I'd find when I got to my hosts place. Beth had been referred to me by the only other WarmShowers hosts in the area, who themselves were away. I was just happy to have a place to spend the night out of the elements.
I found myself a the end of a dirt lane with a very funky looking house. I was wondering if I had the right place when I heard a voice saying "hello!"
I immediately took a liking to the older woman who welcomed me with a hug and led me and my bike :) inside, showed me where things were and left me to get cleaned up.
Sometimes I don't realize how cold it is outside until I get inside.
I had put in almost 78 Km's, spending 4 hours outdoors.
The shower felt amazing and I felt myself return to a more human state.
There was a wood stove blazing, heating up the place.
Something about the place felt reminiscent to my childhood farmhouse home.
Even though Beth had never hosted a WarmShower guest she was the perfect host. She had chicken carrot soup on the stove and fresh homemade bread, and the wifi passcode at the ready.
She's a beekeeper and stepping into her shop area the fragrance of sweet beeswax candles was utterly delicious.
I enjoyed talking with her, sharing life.
After supper we played a game of scrabble.. Well, with a twist, no board, no points, just creating words as elaborate as we could with the tiles we got. It was an enjoyable way to pass the time.
I love the rustic charm of the place. The house is like a honeycomb, with different sections that were added on over time.
No comments:
Post a Comment