Friday, January 27, 2017

A day in Albuquerque











Not used to the time difference yet, so I awoke early despite my fatigue.


It was beautiful to see the sunrise with the magnificent mountains in the distance.


I unpacked my bike box, fearful that things might be missing, fallen out of the torn box. By the grace of God all was well (apart from the seat post area). So I built up my bike, putting the handlebars back in place, attaching wheels, pumping up tires, reattaching rear rack and pedals.


Trevor made Elena and I a lovely breakfast of egg-in-a-hole of bread and fingerling potatoes with kale and onions.


Although Trevor had to work he was okay to go in late, so at 9:15 am we were out the door with my bike in the car in search of a bike shop where I could get me bike fixed up.


Seems most bike stores open at 10 am, so we opted to wait at Fat Tire Cycles for its opening.


I'm glad we did, they were super kind folks and assured me they'd have it fixed up.


So we left the bike, stopped at a trendy downtown coffee shop for spot of Internet (and a hot drink), and then Trevor graciously drove me to the Center for Action and Contemplation (Richard Rohr), where I had booked a personal retreat in their Hermitage from 11-4.


It was probably the best thing I could've done, what with all the stresses accumulated and a definite feeling of being overwhelmed.


No one was there to let me in, so I took the time to slowly walk the Prayer Labyrinth. It was bit chilly at 2 C, but the sun poked out from time to time with it's warming rays as I allowed myself to slowly walk and pray.


I love how all my bike trips in the States have included a labyrinth.


By the time I finished I was thoroughly chilled and not sure I could wait another hour in the cold till the Visitors Center opened at 1 pm. I saw people inside and was relieved when Bart opened the door. Apparently there are some changes happening about the place, one of which is that the Hermitage isn't going to be used for personal retreats much longer. I was let in, the heater and electric fireplace turned on and I began to regain warmth. I spent the next hour and a half journaling, reflecting on all that had happened so I could move on in to the present moment and what lies ahead.


I went to the Visitors Center where I could use the restroom and get water. Bart let me make some tea, which I was happy for, and I shared a bit about myself.


Spent time curled up in the recliner resting, eyes closed, allowing my brain to dump. That was refreshing. 


One more cup of tea, another hour of contemplation and it was 4 pm. Time to leave. Time well spent indeed.


Trevor picked me up, curious about my retreat. I would consider him as a spiritual seeker, but perhaps in a more hippy sort of way, a karma sort of way, open to spiritual sorts of experiences.


We picked the bike up ($21 repair) and drove out through the sprawling city of Albuquerque to Elena's place, where I could get some wifi and see her work-in-progress tiny house! 


I'm fascinated by tiny houses and hope one day to live in one, so it was really neat to see one in the works. The young man she was building it with, Lyn, also had a tiny house, much much smaller than the one Elena was building. I got to see inside his.


Lyn is an amazing carpenter and the space was incredible. He's obviously passionate about building, creative construction. It was super inspiring hanging out there for a bit.




Back at Trevor's place I sorted out my bike stuff as Trevor made local Yak burgers and a chard salad for supper. Hit the spot!




Weather is not going to be very warm (high of 1 C!) tomorrow when I head out to put in my first day of riding. I'm a little concerned I won't be warm enough, but I don't have much choice. At least I have a host expecting me.






No comments:

Post a Comment