3 hour time difference does take time to get used to. But I was tired and the couch comfortable so I was able to get a decent nights sleep.
I organized my gear so it would be easier to find what I needed when I needed it, and was able to use a floor pump to get my tires up to a suitable pressure. I didn't linger long since Abigail was off to summer school classes. It was a beautiful morning in the city! But the roads were so busy and it felt pretty overwhelming.
So many cyclists though! Reminded me of the Netherlands actually, except there was a lot more Lycra clothes and sporty bikes used for commuting.
I took my time, heading to Stanley Park via bike routes as much as possible. Very bike friendly city! And stunning skylines. And so cool to see the trees and shrubbery growing on the tops of apartment buildings. Very green and growing this time of year! So many beautiful gardens too!
And yet I realize again why I prefer to avoid cities on my bike trips. Overstimulating to put it mildly.
Stanley Park was a nice reprieve. I didn't linger too long as I wanted to catch the 11:05am ferry (36km ride). Maps are always so deceiving unless you look at terrain maps. Lots of ups and downs along the road to the ferry at Horseshoe Bay. Also such stunning flowers and mountainsides!
Made it to the ferry with time to spare. Had to load the bike with the cars.
My body already felt so sore from dragging my luggage around yesterday and adjusting to riding fully loaded.
Good thing it wasn't a long riding day.
It was around 1pm when the ferry reached Nanaimo. And it was Hot out. Thought I left that behind in Ontario.
I went straight to the nearest bike shop to get my chain lubed, since the airport confiscated the lube I'd taken along because it was flammable.
Then I went to a quiet park to sit in the shade for a bit.
I found a nearby cafe that sold Nanaimo bars, and while in Nanaimo...
Then I headed on up to my Warmshowers hosts house.
50 km day. But it felt longer. But maybe I was just tired.
She has a beautiful house pearched on a hill overlooking mountains trees and a lake.
And I was fortunate enough that one of her housemates was gone and I could sleep in a real bed for the night! Bonus!
| |||
| The response was: You have exceeded the file size limit per mail or mobile post. |
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Eritia Smit <eritiasmit@gmail.com>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Cc:
Bcc: eritiasmit.oasis@blogger.com
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 18:24:11 -0700
Subject: Day One; Vancouver to Nanaimo
----- Message truncated -----
| |||
| The response from the remote server was: 552 5.3.4 message size limit exceeded |
Show quoted text
No comments:
Post a Comment