Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Day 2; Naniamo to Comox

Morning came early with the sun shining. I wanted to get an early start to the day anyways, so I got my things together and ate a quick breakfast, grateful for my host generously encouraging me to help myself to whatever. 
Water bottles filled and I was feeling set to go by 7am.
It was pleasantly cool put, so I was grateful for my wìnd vest.
It was a fairly straightforward route, basically following Hwy 19 and taking the scenic split at the 20 km mark.
I decided music would be helpful, even if just to distract me from the traffic whizzing by.
I ate every hour to keep my energy levels up.
I could still feel the tiredness and looked forward to taking a couple rest days at Comox where I was headed.
My former neighbors (of 12 years) had somewhat recently moved to Comox and had invited me to visit, so I was happy to have a place to stay with familiar people. 
After about 50 kms the vistas became more beautiful along the road. 
100 km days don't really scare me anymore because of all the training I put in, but it was still a bit rough to push through when I had a loaded bike to pedal.
I'd seen the threat of rain in the forecast, which was part of the reason I left early, but it (fortunately) never materialized. It did get a bit gusty with the wind though.
107 kms of riding by the time I reached Comox. It was mid day. 
I got to make myself at home while the family was still out for work and school., which enabled me to get cleaned up and have a much needed nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment