Saturday, April 25, 2015

CN Tower Climb!

Perhaps it was just a whim, perhaps I was craving another challenge of sorts, but on March 25th I signed up to climb the CN towers 1776 steps. The CN tower, I learned can only be climbed in conjunction with a big fundraising venture, and the one I was doing it for was WWF. Basically I could sign up to do it for free but in order to actually be allowed to climb I needed to raise a minimum of $75. No problem? Well, I think I realized the difference between raising funds for a cause near to my heart and one I felt somewhat disconnected with. Don't get me wrong I think wildlife preservation is important, I mean, the more I learn about Pandas the more I admire them and hope they can thrive on this planet.
My co-workers were very kind and supportive and it's mostly because of them I can do this challenge.
I've never actually been up the CN tower in Toronto, so this seemed like the perfect opportunity for me to go up the local landmark (if I can call it that, I mean it IS the tallest tower in the world!)
I had hoped to make this challenge even more epic by cycling to Toronto and home again, but it was not to be. Ah yes, things don't always happen the way we wish they would.
My body is in process of healing and recovery and I need to give it time.
So hard when I enjoy being super active.
My training I did take seriously. About 3km from where I live is the Chedoke escarpment stairs. There is no workout quite like walking up stairs, it has a way of making ones heart rate climb with each step taken.
In order to prove to myself that I'd be able to do it I did 7 repeats of the 289 steps my first time, and felt the effects for days after! I calculated my upward climb time to be 17 minutes. 
After that I toned it down to 4-6 repeats usually once or twice a week as I could fit in.
How fast will I be able to climb the CN tower? Pacing myself is going to be vital. I climb two steps at a time typically, relying on my quad strength built up by my cycling, but too hard too early can put me in a bad place fast.
April 25th dawned sunny and beautiful. I got up early, had breakfast and biked to the Hamilton GO bus station where I caught the 7 am bus to Toronto.
It was estimated 4000 people would climb the stairs between 6 and 10 am.
I don't think I really anticipated the line ups. Let's just say, I arrived in Toroto at 7:50 am and didn't start climbing the nearby CN tower until 9:28 am. 
Wasn't sure how much or little to wear because the outside air temperature was around 0 C.
Turns out it was rather chilly climbing except that I exerted myself.
The stairs themselves were not much to write home about. Flight after flight of stairs. The only interesting change was the number of flights up and the hand drawn pictures that school kids had made. It said encouraging things, and thanked us for supporting wildlife.
I went up two steps at a time as I had trained to, and passed people consistently. People of all ages and physical abilities were climbing. A couple times it was so congested I had to slow down and wait, but I figure it was probably good to get a break. All I had to do was keep climbing, perserve.
My clocked time was 15:40. Nice! I was certainly happy with that! Most people aim to be around the 20 minute mark, for 113 building stories of stairs.
The record is held by someone in New York, around 7 minutes! Unreal!
My lungs were burning at the top. I had been breathing hard, but the training had paid off.
Despite the fact that I was wearing t-shirt and shorts I stepped outside to walk around the outside viewing area to get a look from the top. It was really cool, literally and figuratively.
Almost missed out on my chance to stand on the glass floor, but got out of the elevator line so I could check it out. I didn't feel freaked out by the sheer height of it for some reason, it was just neat.
Got the t-shirt, with my time emblazoned on the back as well as an adorable panda keychain (because I raised $10 over the minimum).
I was happy to get my bag back with the warmer clothes inside since my body had cooled after the exertion.
The nice thing about doing it for the first time is that there was no personal time to beat. And then it was all over and I could leave the crowds behind again and catch a bus back.



No comments:

Post a Comment