Sunday, July 13, 2014

On the way

Trip had a real rough start, it was a test of faith and where I put my trust, ultimately.
My bike was delivered to my Aunt's doorstep on Saturday afternoon and my hope of things being restored as planned was real.
I was quick to build up my bike and eager to get on the road.
Perhaps too eager. I feel like I am making a lot of silly mistakes or oversights lately, and take great comfort in the fact that God can use us and our circumstances regardless and work things for good, because he loves us.
So I opted to bike to Amsterdam Station, hopped on a train bound for Maastricht, rode the rails for 2.5 hours and then rode on into the German town of Aachen. Initially I had a host lined up there, but due to the delay I failed to reconnect in time, and realized I didn't have his address written down... and couldn't seem to get through to him to my newly acquired cell phone. So, with my handy dandy GPS, I found the nearest train station and bought a ticket for me and for my bike and went to Cologne. It was already late and it was a bit chilly. I had to catch a bus the following day, but had about 13 hours to kill. I was able to inquire and find a nearby Hostel where I felt safe, and comfortable. My bike I locked by the luggage lockers in the basement. My jet lag is still messing with my sleep so it is hard sleeping. I was in a room with 3 other women, one of whom snored and another who showed up at dawn to catch a few winks.
I sleep best after 4 am here, go figure.
I decided I should get outside and see a bit of Cologne before travelling on. I'm so not a city person though, and touristy things, well, they are a bit much for me.
Went for a short run along the Rhine. Not everyday I can do that!
Trying to live aware that I am right here, right now and can take this amazing opportunity to live into today.
Had a long and wearisome bus ride into Freiburg, Germany. The whole country is hyped up because of the FIFA soccer finals!
My host came to get me from the bus station and I found him to be a very passionate man who believes in local, in green, in environment and even, building cargo bikes out of bamboo!! He showed me around in a way that fit with who I am, a lover of more natural beauty as opposed to tourist attractions.
Tomorrow, Switzerland!

No comments:

Post a Comment