When MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) first started their races I felt like it was something I wanted to participate in. And let's just say they've been doing them now for a while. I suppose I just make excuses like, well, I can just go out and run by myself, I don't need to race. Legit. However, there is something to be said for being out there. A competitive spirit rises. People push themselves harder than they would otherwise. People have a reason to train, a goal to aim at.
For me the MEC race is a very small goal compared to the big one I am aiming at this year, the 1/2 Ironman in Muskoka on September 7th. (More on that another time).
Regardless, sub-goals have their place and can assist in reaching bigger goals.
Anyway, enough about that, so MEC decided to put on a trail race in the Dundas conservation area, which is very close to where I live and so I thought, why not?!?
It's got to be the most affordable race anywhere at $15.
The morning started out drizzly but cleared up in time for the actual race. I biked along the old rail trail to get to the Trail center where the race start was, a nice 6.5 km ride. Perfect to get my muscles somewhat warmed up and ready for action.
I wasn't really sure what to expect to be honest.
And part of me really didn't want to race, didn't like the environment of being around people pre-race, all the trash talk stuff that goes on.
I wore my light racing shoes knowing by the end of the day they'd be mucky with mud, but the good thing is shoes can be washed :)
There were 3 distances, 5.5 km, 9 km, and 12.5 km. I opted for the middle ground, 9 km. It seemed a fairly normal distance for me to run.
At 9 am they had the gun go off and the 9 and 12.5 km runners hit the trails. I was happy to start running but knew that my adrenaline had me going too hard too soon, but it's hard to care when one is in the moment.
It was an out and back for the first 5.5 km. I rather like out and back's since they open one's awareness of who is all behind and where one sits. No other female passed me on their way back and I realized I was the lead female. Wasn't so sure I could hold onto that spot, but was willing to do what I could.
I made a costly mistake, I swallowed just a bit of GU gel, and my stomach responded with major cramping in my right side, such that I struggled to breath, let alone keep running because the pain was so intense. It's in those moments when we find it easy to pray, and yet somehow I felt like I needed not to just pray it would end, but simply that God would give me grace sufficient in coping, to see beyond me, the moment, and to endure.
I run like I bike, I use gravity to make me fly down the hills and grind myself up the other side, and there were plenty of hills to contend with on that course!! And of course mud :) I think one of the good things about being in the top group of athletes was that there was less trodden mud to contend with (oh wait, except for the out and back parts :)
It's so beautiful in the conservation area. I let myself see and be blessed by just being in that setting.
I kept pace with one guy in front of me as best I could. As we neared the final stretch I passed him and made it to the finish in 5th place overall! (and Top female) 62 people did the 9 km run. I can tell you one thing, I sure didn't expect that result! I went into the race telling myself I needed to be okay with simply competing, getting out there, being a part of this run. Big fish in small pond. Cool that I did well, but I always feel like it's silly to make a big deal out of it because doing well in a race doesn't define me as a person, it doesn't make me better than other people.
It's just a gift of God to be able to run, to bike and yes, even, swim. So I hope I can glorify Him by using what he put in me :)

No comments:
Post a Comment