Sunday, February 9, 2014

Of projects and completions

 What happens when you put two creative sisters in the same house for a length of time?
Well, last year it produced a set of paintings.
I like to refer to them as a compatibility test of sorts.
I chose a photo and my sister chose a photo from our own collections, our own memories.
Then we began the work of painting our photo, only to stop at a given point and swap paintings and let go of what we had started, surrendering our rights, our vision of where "our" painting would go.
 We have such different styles and approaches to painting. The question was, could our paintings be better because of what we had to offer them as individuals?
I think the completed works will show you, you can be the judge.
I certainly felt the painting I completed (the beach scene) benefited from my sisters boldness in using vivid color right at the start. I felt it gave me a freedom to continue down the path of vivid bold color.
I'm not so sure the painting I started could benefit from my attention to detail and perfectionism in the same way since it was at such a base stage when I relinquished control of it.
Either way, I think it was an interesting experience to do this joint painting project.
Had to realize how when two people who are different come together and agree good things can happen, but that it's not always so easy, and that it takes a certain amount of letting go.

Another, more recently completed project, was that of my pieced cushion cover.
There were a couple old homemade couch cushions in the house that my parents had made for the wooden couch they had together created (and still sits in our living room with better, upgraded homemade cushions).
My sister had one on her bed for when she hung out in her room to read, and so I thought perhaps my bed could also benefit from such an addition.
I had been dreaming up a purple quilt for some time now and had the fabric sitting in a box and felt like it was time to put dreams into reality.
I designed the piecing of the fabric and used an old favorite race t-shirt that was wearing out, as a feature in the pillow cover. (Early December I saw a quilted wall hanging of someones favorite race t-shirts. And why not?)
I loved the colors and the opportunity to do this project. It called for much sitting in front of an ironing board but it was fun to see it come together. Even though it was work I enjoyed the way it kept my hands busy as I watched movies or listened to audio books around the Christmas season.
Another idea that became a reality. Another dream making me aware that if one is willing to put in the time and effort to make dreams happen, they can. Patient perseverance.


No comments:

Post a Comment