I chose this race because it was fairly local and I like finding local challenges. I think the best part was being able to get to know the course, to know the area. I think particularly of the Park Hill climb up the escarpment which I was able to pre-ride several times which helped me not fear it so much.
What a gorgeous day for a race though! My last two race experiences being wet it felt like a treat to have sun and coolness.
I reflected on how this race was a gift of grace. All is grace, and even this opportunity was grace, and I received it as such.
I was feeling pretty good, mentally and physically which helped the race experience become what it was.
First off, a 2.5 km run. Went well enough, though I noticed my heartrate was super high when I got to my bike. I was eager to bike, had anticipated it greatly. My time trial bike has a new derailleur and the shifting is back to smooth working condition.
As soon as I was on the bike I started pushing the pedals and passing people. Come to think of it I didn't get passed by anybody. Guess no one felt up to returning the favor of being passed (well... on the bike that is!)
The Park street hill, it was what it was, I must have been high on adrenaline because I did not even realize I was still in my large front chain ring until I was more than half way up the hill!! Insane!
Near the top I saw (six of) my riding buddies who had planned their Sunday ride to come out and cheer me on! That was SO cool! It really made the experience that much more special to get that kind of support and encouragement! (They later found another spot along the route to cheer me on as well, double whammy of coolness.)
I felt so fast out there. There was wind but I just hammered along, making good use of my 11 cog in the back cassette. Granted, I felt threatened by feeling light headed from the high intensity I was maintaining, but I was getting such a high from passing people and flying on this dream bike of mine, so I couldn't help myself.
Let's just say it's a good thing I ride shorter distance races because I would probably blow up if I tried sustaining it for longer distances!
Then I was hanging the bike back up on the rack and slipping into my lightweight runners and heading to the run course feeling, still, lightheaded from the exertion.
7 km seemed to crawl by and I got passed by many people I had passed earlier on the bike. I did what I could to keep myself going.
We ran along the beauty of Lake Ontario (in which the triathletes did their swim earlier). There wasn't a cloud in the sky.
My right knee started bothering me, which troubled me and had me asking God to hold me together till the end.
I was able to finish strong with a final blast that left me gasping for air on the other side of the line.
My youngest sister was there to congratulate me. Super special to have her there since she lives abroad and is only around for a few weeks. (She was volunteering, but at all the right places to support and encourage).
Turned out I had (once again) the fastest bike of the duathletes (by like, 45 seconds, but still...) and top female! It's cool, but it doesn't define me. It's God who gives and takes away. He gives strength and resources to some. I just pray somehow that God can get the glory. That the pleasure I find in strengthening my body and in being outside in God's handiwork brings him pleasure.
Two weeks until the next chance to be out there pushing self and glorying in God's creation...
No comments:
Post a Comment