Sunday, June 16, 2013

Guelph Lake 1 Duathlon

Today was the Guelph Lake Olympic Duathlon.
I'll admit I'm finding it hard to write about because I was just not really in the mood to race. The weather didn't help, as it was dump-aging rain before the race was underway.
I wish I could be all inspired to write a great post race reflection, but I have to be honest with you, it was hard. Hard to have a good attitude, hard to fight to keep my focus on how God could be there with me.
But I will have to say, I can testily to God's grace through the experience. It was grace that the crazy rain slowed to more of a light rain/drizzle. It was grace that my bike was in good working order (been having issues with shifting due to a slightly bent rear derailleur and hanger), that I didn't have any flat tires or mechanical issues. It was grace that my body could continue functioning when I asked it to perform hard.
It was grace that I could be present there at that time. Grace to even have the health and strength to race (as a year ago it was all wistful thinking and saddened longing.)
It's hard to remember much of a race like that once it's over. The first (2 km) run was a bit of a quick rush where everyone just goes, the bike... a lot of rolling hills and shifting gears, a lot of passing people one after another on route to Fergus where we had the 20 km turnaround. 40 km is long. Turns out my cycling effort was tied with that of that of the overall winner who had the fastest bike split of the duathletes, cool. (Time: 1:05:24) I recall the smell of fresh cut hay making me feel happy.
The second run, grueling and tortuousness. My body was not happy to be asked to run after such a hard bike effort. I was gasping for air and forcing my aching legs to keep moving. We ran through a campground and some countryside, it was actually beautiful seeing the mist shrouded trees.
 There were a number of out and back bits to compose the 10 km run, the advantage and disadvantage of that is that you see who is all behind you and where you're at in comparison to others.
I was the first girl on the run course, but I was overtaken by a strong 45 year old lady, who obviously also had strength on the bike.
So I was the second female to cross the line, but still first in my age category.
The sun came out then. It was actually decent having it overcast.
It's hard to know what to feel after completing an event like that. Truth is, I just feel tired and empty.
Looking forward to five weeks of no racing!

No comments:

Post a Comment