Saturday, August 17, 2013

Bruce Peninsula MultiSport Race

Bruce Peninsula MultiSport Race

What began as an idea in March developed to the events of this past weekend.
I was skyping with my sister in Holland, and she was anticipating her time in Canada this summer and dreaming of all that she wanted to accomplish during that time. Doing an adventure type race was on the list of dreams, so we went online (which we technically already were since we were skyping) and found out the options.
As things came together it looked like the family camping weekend coincided nicely with a race that was happening in the same area.
So we signed up as “Sisters United” tandem team to do a 25 km race which included paddling a canoe for about 5 km, riding mountain bikes over 15 km (primarily double track), and running the Bruce trail for about 5 km.
My sister got herself injured and I was left with her race dream and no team mate.
Fortunately I had a friend who was super up for the challenge of racing with me.
My uncertainties of how well we would work as a team were put to rest on race day.It was a gorgeous Saturday morning for the race, and I drove down from the campsite in the early hours with my parents kevlar canoe on the roof of my car and a rented mountain bike to race on in the trunk.
My injured sister came along to volunteer and be a part of the action, so I had some company for the drive to Wiarton.
It felt good to be out and have something active to do again.
I'll admit, I haven't really done much, if any, canoeing since the adventure race I did back in 2011.
A little sad, but just not something I am really passionate about.
My team mate, Nicola, was a good compliment since she, with her upper body strength, skills and excitement for the canoe portion really helped get me through that bit.
I was hurting by the time the paddle section of the race was done and happy to move on to the next section: Biking.
It was rough tranisitioning my body from the exertion of canoeing and lugging the canoe to a spot on the grass and then, right off having to bike up a hill on a mountain bike that I was not used to riding. (Oh yeah, did I mention I don't really have much mountain bike experience at all?!)
Such a “backwoods” triathlon!! (we had to carry a bunch of first aid supplies, maps and such the entire race... just in case!)
I was breathing really heavy and felt like I was holding my team mate back.
She was super encouraging though which helped.
We went through woods and over rocks and a few fallen trees (one of which I totally did and endo on with the bike landing on top of me... humbling).
It took a while for me to feel sufficiently recovered to be able to actually feel like I could do this thing.
Both Nicola and I seem to have a similar competitive streak in us that refuses to let up despite how we feel. I took the lead as we made our way back to the same transition area (whipping down the hill we had to ride up earlier).
Then it was on to the run portion.
Nicola was dreading this, since she doesn't run much, so I took it on to encourage and be strong for her so we could finish well as a team.
It was neat running along the cliffs on the Bruce trails, dodging rocks in among the trees. We made a game of it, pretending to be in a scene of Lord of the Rings (Nicola bearing the time chip on her finger like it was the ring).
\I was thankful it wasn't a race requiring orientation. We could just follow hot pink flags marking the way.
It wasn't a super long race, but intense!
We were both struggling to hold it together as we neared the finish. We crossed the line together.
Then it was all over. Cool experience. The 100 km race would have been more than a bit more draining.

I estimated we were somewhere in the top 3 for teams racing, turns out that we were the first tandem team!! Way to beat the boys! (There were 19 teams total)
Both Nicola and I were first place womens team and won matching unique pottery mugs bearing the race logo and initials as well as a "redneck" margarita glass filled with candy, a pick of something from the gift table (I got a cool book about outdoor sport training) as well as a $15 gift certificate to a local business that conveniently had a booth where we promptly spent our prize.
All in all a super cool experience for all of us, and a great way to wrap up a week of camping doing something active and local to where we were!

1 comment: