Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Reflections on Creating a Cake

Assignment for September: Creativity
As I probably mentioned before, creativity excites me.
Needless to say, the opportunity to do something creative with purpose had me dreaming big time. (Brings back memories of all the things my sister and I would create to enter at the local Fall Fairs in order to win ribbons and prize money).
As a Baker/Pastry Chef I figured I should apply my creative gifts in the area of producing something baked.
I don't think I realized how hard it would be to bring this project to completion though... It's hard to take "work" home, so doing any baking at home offers a level of stress that I don't tend to want to bring there.
Continuing... here are my observations on the process and on how I saw God in and through it...
 The Dreaming stage was fun, how after all, could it not be when I have years of experiences to back up my creativity and stimulate my thoughts. The hardest bit was settling on something and being okay with the choice when myriads all begged to be attempted?
The Plan: Tomato Soup cake (really not as weird as it sounds) and Carrot Cake layered in the same cake... they seemed compatible enough since they both had vegetables in them, raisins and spices and called for cream cheese icing.
The Making of the cakes: It was neat to create good smells to warm the whole house and give a sense of invitation to those around... it's actually pretty amazing that God gives us a sense of smell, and how smells can evoke things in our minds and affect our mood.
It was neat to be able to create something like cake, and even neater to consider how the end product would bring pleasure to others when they were given it to enjoy.
 I had to think that God must have taken great pleasure in creating the world and all the good things in it knowing he could share that goodness.
It must make him happy when people take time to enjoy what he created, when they really see it and delight in it, when they thrill at the beauty and wonder of it.
 Creating the Roses: I found the chocolate paste roses to be a rather time consuming bit that required detail. Each rose was unique... and I realized that indeed "the difference between God's creativity and mine is that I can only create from what He has made."- from the book Punk Monk
 God took the time to create roses (and myriads of other flowers as well), and he made them so delicate and beautiful!
Making the icing: A blending of ingredients, of just the right amounts and temperatures... like a careful chemistry.
God is wise, he knew all the chemistry behind the things he made and he put them together in such a way as to make people who delve into the world of chemistry and physics marvel... creating takes a lot of thought.
The Finishing: I'll admit, I was pretty stressed out by the time I did the finishing touches. I just SO badly wanted it to be beautiful, to be perfect. I knew what I had to do for the finishing touches, I had visioned it beforehand...
I wanted to look upon the creation and see that it was good, much like God did after he created the earth, and to be able to rest in the completion of the creation I had started and bring it to the potluck with my fellow interns and simply enjoy of it. And that my friends, was that. Success.





No comments:

Post a Comment