Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Pre-Race Reflections

I am accustomed to writing post-race reflections so in a way it seems strange to consider writing a pre-race reflection. But I think there is value in it, so here goes;
The race: Paris to Ancaster; 70 km of mud, dirt road, farm lanes, gravel trail and a bit of road thrown in.
I signed up for this race way back in January already as an goal to work towards in the winter months.
Mixed feelings about this race. First off, it's kind of out of my comfort zone... especially since I don't actually own a bike that I can ride in such conditions.
I feel blessed to have been entrusted with someone elses cyclocross bike for the purpose of riding this race and have been dutifully training on if the last month in preparation.
I have a new level of respect for mountain bikers, for people who ride on cyclocross bikes instead of road bikes. The energy expenditure seems to be a lot higher as is the need for muscles to power the bikes.
I've had to challenge myself to fight fears so I could gain faith, could develop confidence. It's been hard but good.
And now the race is less than a week away and my body is tired from all the training and I feel a need to be okay with what's done. No amount of training is going to help me now, I've done the work...
and yet I still find myself wondering...
It's not that I wonder if I can do it, if I can survive, because I believe I can. I think what I wonder is can I take this crazy opportunity to race and have fun with it, and be able to push myself to my limits and stay strong for the duration of the 70 km's, to have a good mental attitude even when it gets hard.
I think with these questions comes the challenge, to allow God to be God even in this, to surrender my hopes and fears to him, to go in the grace He gives.
Fears would include riding with masses of other people (over 1200 ppl signed up for this mudbath, and I'm not sure I can handle the bike super well around other people when I'm going hard and feeling tired), riding through a lot of mud- forecast has loads of rain (and mud is actually rather unpredictable, sticks to the bike and weighs it down and sucks the energy out of a person, and I only have so much to expend!), and getting mechanical issues (please no flat tires!!). There. I've named them. Now to give it over.
What would I like when I cross that finish line?
... I'd like to be able to smile. I'd like to feel a sense of relief and accomplishment, I'd like to be able to be okay with myfinishing time, with how I handled the tough stuff. I'd like to know that God was with me. I'd like to be able to celebrate and share the experiences with my fellow riders and friends.
So prayer is appreciated. Look for the post-race reflection later Sunday or Monday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment